DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can't find true 2"x 2"x 4'

6K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Sasha2000 
#1 ·
Can't find true 2"x 2"x 4' minimum poplar or white birch. Everything seems to be 1 1/2". Where can I find a real 2" piece of wood?

#3 ·
Or out of a 6x6 to get the true 4".........

Be safe, G

#9 ·
oh, it is exposed.

I am building all my cabinets in a bath remodel that I have totally gutted (even the plumbing). I found Birch beadboard that I wanted to use as insets in my cabinet doors. This presented the next problem of going with Birch for the cabinet door frames although I did find I can stain poplar with a little effort to match. And poplar is easier to find! The real problem comes with the 3 mirrored medicine cabinets I want to build. I am installing under cabinet lights and need a full 2" sticking out from the wall. Plus I would like the extra little depth instead of standard 3 1/2" stud space. This will give me 5 5/8" which will allow some larger bottles to live in med. cab.

I hope this long winded answer explains my dilemma better.

Thanks for all the replies!

#12 ·
One would think...

That was my first thought. Googled and used phone book. The few companies that still had working numbers all told me they don't have anything like what I am looking for. I thought if I could get a 4x4 I could cut it down, but they don't even have that. I did find a couple of places that had wood, but I would have to mill it and I don't have a planer. One company said there would be a $300 set up fee to mill plus the wood costs which would be a minimum of $300 to $400. That's roughly $25 per linear foot.
That seemed a little high to me for 27' of material. I was hoping there were other alternatives.

#13 ·
Sasha,

I am having a hard time envisioning what it is that you are looking to create.

Do you have a picture of something that would be similar to what you are thinking about producing?

Also if there are any cabinet companies in your town I am guessing that they might be able to get something for you.

You could also find a carpenter or a construction company and they may be able to plane something down for you.

If all else fails I could mill something for you or it looks like you are a DIY kind os person and are maybe not stopping here on building cabinetry? If that is a true statement and you are going to be doing more woodworking and cabinetry then go buy a new planer for $300 - 400 and then sell it when done on ebay and get 1/2 to 3/4 of the expense on ebay or you could get a planer off of Ebay but will be on your own to determine whether the planer will work or not.

I think that there are some options here but the first option might be to see what it is that you are thinking about creating and maybe we can all put our heads together and think of a different design than using true 2 x 4 stock.

Let us know this could be an "interactive" discussion, lol

Good Luck and be safe!

#14 ·
Josh just looked at your website btw and you do some beautiful work. Good to see some true craftsman on this site!

BTW Josh how far are you from Dallas? MAybe you could get her a true 2x4 if nothing else can be designed?

#16 ·
Yes Sasha I did see the posting but have you checked with cabinet companies? And do you havea drawing or a picture that is similar to the project you are thinking of doing? We may be able to thinkof something to get you the same finished product with a little variation.

#17 ·
Paragon, I will post my plan later today, but in the meantime, just wanted to say thanks for planing offer. Noticed u live in MN. Got relatives in Ortonville on Big Stone Lake, St. Cloud, St. Paul, and in Bemidji.
Your idea of buying a planer is a great one. I didn't realize they were that reasonable. I have had minor needs for one in the past, but I always worked around it. Will check into that today. Any brand recommendations?
Thanks to all for your ideas and help!

#18 ·
Umm I use the Ridgid planer and it works pretty good. I don't do a lot of planing however so someone else might chime in on this recommendations. I have always had good luck with Ridgid. I think for your situation you would do okay with any of the consumer grade planers such as the DeWalt or the Ridgid.

No problem about the planing offer after all I would love an opportunity to plane a piece of wood an make a cool $300, LOL j/k!

Ortonville is a little ways from here but is pretty country and even more so true about Bemidji.

let's see what we can do to get you in business on this one and I look forward to seeing that design!

#19 ·
Two weeks ago, in my town, if you had wanted those true 2 x 4's by any length you would have gone to the only local lumber yard/mill shop that HAD been in business for over 50 years, and they would have taken a larger piece of wood and cut them out for you. But alas, the big box stores have done their damage now. The only locally owned lumber yard/mill shop is now closed due to slow sales. This is going to hurt the high dollar housing market here as they were the ones the high dollar home contractor's used. They carried top-of-the-line, quality products, and have always delivered to the job-site with a smile and a laugh. Their mill shop was outstanding. Ole' "Doobie", guess how he got that name, could look at a piece of trim, go get a knife blank and hand grind it to that profile. After polishing it, and cutting your material, he would engrave it with your last name and hang it on a nail. He must have had over a thousand of those. Yes, I have a couple of them from some trim out of homes built in the late 40's and 50's. This was also one of those really old fashion hardware stores. They had stuff in there they had ordered 50 years ago and had not sold yet. If you were working on an older home, you had to go there to get hardware. What will we do now. Progress has actually hurt us this time. Life will go on. Thanks, David

#20 ·
Thurman VERY TRUE!

Now the flip of the coin is reality. We must as professional and craftsmen adapt and overcome. The reality of the issue is that those days are gone and that is the reality. We must work within the parameters of what our clients seek and desire and although customizing everything in a home makes the process cost prohibitive.

So with all the true things you said there is the reality of the whole thing and that is what we must keep in mind.

Take care and thanks for reminding us of those good ol days when things were just a little bit different.

#21 ·
Sasha, did you really do a google? I just did a google of "hardwoods Dallas" and a number of suppliers came up. If you lived in a small town, I could understand, but Dallas? I don't understand this. And most hardwood suppliers will mill it for you. There is a higher cost involved but most places have a good selection milled up already and it won't cost you $300 to $400 for set up costs. Not sure what you are looking for.

#22 ·
I live north of Houston and there are tons of places around near a big city. I just bought 4 sheets of 3/4 rift sawn red oak for a special project. I had never been to this supplier before but they had a huge selection. There were even some woods I had never even heard of. Just glancing at the list on google, there is a place called Central Hardwoods. (972) 241-3571. They have a website too. You should have no trouble getting what you need from them or checking out some of the other hardwood suppliers listed.

#24 ·
Yup, called Central and they referred me to Brazos (now called something else) who then referred me to an independent that has still not called me back and that has been almost 2 weeks now. Central also said they did not have any 10/4.

Josh, if you like unusual woods look into Shadua. The lighter grain, when light hits it, is irridescent when finished and oiled. It's one of my favorites.

#26 ·
Josh,

That is why I asked for the design. I think that if she posts the design we could look at an alternative design for her. I think maybe even Sasha could redesign this because it sounds like she is a pretty resourceful individual.

I am just having a hard time visualizing what it is exactly Sasha is trying to achieve in her finished product but we will have to see how it goes.

Take care and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all of the Father's reading this!

Take care and be safe!

#27 ·
Loaned friend disk with design, they will bring it back hopefully today. The gist is a medicine cabinet that is recessed. I am using the same style of door as on all the cabinets. It is 2" wide with an inset. The reason for 2" depth is partially a interior depth issue and the issue of the under cabinet lighting I want to use. I measured the bottles, jars and extensive first aid stuff that needs to live in there. I need the depth. There's 3 1/2" in stud, 1/2" for tile & backerboard, 2" for the 2" x 2" cabinet front = 6" minus 1/4" for backing in med cab. That leaves me with 5 3/4" and I need absolute min of 5 5/8". The under cab lite is 3/4" deep and it needs to set back a smidge so it won't be visible. I thought about recessing it into bottom of cabinet, but that still won't help my interior space problem. It will be stained, not painted.
Does this help any?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.