DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We bought a house that was built in the 1960's and changed out the doorknobs. The holes in the door are much bigger than what today's hardware requires.
Unfortunately I have not been able to find new doorknobs that fully cover up the holes on the inside of the door.

My wife is really annoyed and is considering paying $5,000 to get new doors! Apparently my door opening is an odd size, so the Home Depot guy is saying that it would be a special order for doors.

Can someone help direct me to a place where I can buy hardware or some sort of plate to cover up the hole on the inside of the door? I live in Orange County, CA, so I am willing to visit a local store and buy local, too. Thank you!

I've attached photos of the inside and outside. You can see that the outside looks fine.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,371 Posts
Go online and search foe retrofit door hardware.

There are several places that make things to replace your old hardware.

Also think about fabricating, or having fabricated a decorative cover for that.

ED

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
I’d call the mfg of your lockset and see if they might have an Escutcheon Plate for those inside knobs that would cover the hole.

My second choice would be checking with local lock shops and locksmiths to see what they might carry.

Third would be something online, but I’d rather be able to test fit and measure things in a store rather than wait for the part, then find out it isn’t right.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
If these doors were mine I would be visiting my meager wood shop to build a couple of 1/4" or 3/16" thick wooded partial escutcheons to cover those openings. No, I wouldn't attempt to stain them to match but stain to compliment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.