DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Trane 6/2013.

Water dripping from coils. This summer spent $180 on diagnose and cleaning, then $500 labor on new coils, due to water running off coils.

Its been fine until last night far as I know. A younger person was here and Hoeard the dreaded dripping noise and looked inside the return air cubby hole and sure enough a few drops of water. Maybe only 3/4 teaspoon.

Can I ignore this and hope it doesn't get worse? With cold temps the AC isn't running much. I sure don't have any more money for repairs.

·
Administrator
42,482 Posts
How dirty is the air filter?

Might want to wash/clean the coil. Water dripping off coil, is not an indication of needing a new coil. unless it leaking refrigerant.

Reactions: Startingover

·
Registered
766 Posts
The coil removes moisture from the air it is cooling. Sounds like you drain isn't working properly(?)

It may not be as much of a problem in the winter but it sure will be a problem next year when the warm humid weather comes back!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The $180 was two seperate trips here ( by two different people) to clean the original 2 yr old coil. It still dripped water badly. That was when I had to spend the $500 on labor for a new (under warranty) coil.

What concerns me is that its a 2012 model and the new coil is 2012 so what if there is a design flaw in 2012. I haven't had time to call the AC guy yet but I know he's going to groan. He said it was hard to get the replacement unit in and he's been doing this for years.

It is due for a new filter this month. It'd be amazing if that was all it needed. I'll let you know.

·
Administrator
42,482 Posts
The $180 was two seperate trips here ( by two different people) to clean the original 2 yr old coil. It still dripped water badly. That was when I had to spend the $500 on labor for a new (under warranty) coil.

What concerns me is that its a 2012 model and the new coil is 2012 so what if there is a design flaw in 2012.

Then there would be thousands of people posting about this same problem.

I haven't had time to call the AC guy yet but I know he's going to groan. He said it was hard to get the replacement unit in and he's been doing this for years.

It is due for a new filter this month. It'd be amazing if that was all it needed. I'll let you know.
Change air filter, and post pics of your drain line and its trap.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Till this summer and coil change I was using expensive hepa filters. My AC guy said to use inexpensive thin ones.

Ok, wheres drain line and trap? In the garage on the side of the air handler?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cat Automotive exterior Bumper

The AC guy was frustrated cause if you notice the bit of white at lower left corner, it's my water heater.

He said, why, with a big garage the builder crammed the water heater so close to the air handler that it's hard to work on air handler. I think he had a valid point.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Not necessarily. In Canada where I am we don't use them and would go straight out the wall. I seem to only see them on horizontal attic units in the US.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm calling the AC guy next week to tell him about the drip. and will ask about a drain trap. He was surprused at the problem and has called me since to check how its working.

If Trane has a trap it must be inside where I can't see it.

I don't even have money for him to come out and look at it.

Maybe I can get by another 7.5 yrs then have it all replaced at 10 yrs. or maybe I won't even be alive then and won't care.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yuri,
Thats my plan!

I spray around the house for bugs so doubt this moisture will attract termites.

It's just annoying when I paid $3,800 for what I thought was a good system, but oh well.

·
Administrator
42,482 Posts
Not necessarily. In Canada where I am we don't use them and would go straight out the wall. I seem to only see them on horizontal attic units in the US.
Do you have a lot of A/Cs with electric heat air handlers in your area. Or are you just thinking of furnaces with A/Cs, which would make it a positive pressure drain line, instead of a negative line like the OPs.

Yuri,
Thats my plan!

I spray around the house for bugs so doubt this moisture will attract termites.

It's just annoying when I paid $3,800 for what I thought was a good system, but oh well.

Around here, thats a side job price.
No trap tends to allow air to be drawn in, which holds the condensate up and allow it to drip or run out where it shouldn't.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Mostly positive pressure drains. Now that I look carefully that one is sucking in. I HATE traps as they plug with bacteria badly. Nothing worse than a flooded furnace and blown board.

Not too many airhandler AC combos and most elec furnaces have the coil downstream. Mostly Condo units. Seems to be conventional wisdom here. We almost always put a open tee on the drain to break the vacuum. Not so great in a 140 deg attic but in a regular condo does not seem to be a big issue plus our AC season is short and our elec cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow 500$ ...wouldn't call thise jack legs anymore they most definitely dont know what they are doing . What no one on here is tell you, is the reason this is happening. You have what we refer to as a pull thru airhandler. The fan sit over the coil and create s a vacuum inside the unit which prevents the condensation from flowing thru drain. ..kinda like holding your finger at the end of a straw. Installing a "P" trap would release the vac and allow the pan to drain. So from here you need to call the company back and tell them to bring you a 3$ part back with them to install into drain line Along with you 500$ and also make them admit how incompetent they are ......jackasses

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.