DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago I replaced my old wood windows with vinyl. They are very good.

I was using a sharp tool close to a window screen. The tool slipped and damaged the
screen fabric. I've replaced window and door screens before, but there is a problem.

My storm door has two panes of glass and screen. Removing a frame from the track
is simple. Retract both spring loaded latches and the frame is released from the track,
as shown in figure A.

Figure B shows the screen frame from my vinyl windows. There is no latch. The frame
seems to be permanently locked into the track. A notch or cutout along the edge of track
would be logical, that would allow removal of the screen frame. There is no notch or
cutout.

If I can't remove the screen frame, replacing the fabric is not possible. How can I resolve
this problem?

·
Usually Confused
7,352 Posts
Different manufacturers use different methods, but some use little spring tabs inside the screen frame, usually two along each side. Try pushing the screen frame sideways (or pull down). You only get enough movement to just clear the window frame.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm looking at in photo B. I see the rubber retainer spline, but that goes on the outside. Latches for the screen's frame would be on the inside. I think you have the B screen in backwards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've examined the outside and inside very closely. There are no spring tabs. I tried wiggling
the frame from side to side. Maybe I didn't use enough force. I thought about making some
kind of pry tool with a thin flexible strip of plastic.

Ronnie833, you are looking at the lower right inside corner of a storm door frame (A) and
the lower right inside corner of a vinyl window screen (B). The only difference is the vinyl
window screen frame has no latch. Obviously, I couldn't remove the screen frame to take
a picture. (How could the screen be in backwards, when I don't know how to remove the
screen frame.)

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,226 Posts
If you can see the entire spline you could just change the screen while the frame is in place...

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
A screen is installed by pushing it into the channel on one side, so the opposite side can fit in, then move the screen to the center.
Removing a screen follows the reverse procedure: push it to the right or left OR up or down and the screen will come out of its groove.
Worse case: break this screen out and build a new screen from a kit.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Ours go up and then out from the bottom. No tabs. Just push the top up into the track. Then pull out the bottom.
The screens are designed to be removed. Sometimes it takes a little tinkering, but the screen will come out and there is no need to do anything drastic.
Calm down and remove the screen. It comes out.

Youtube may have a video on this.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,226 Posts
Don't apply force to the middle of the upper frame - always apply force to both edges equally if possible - else you might bend the frame - same as jumping over the fence - do it where the posts are, not the center of the rail.

Reactions: J. V.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts