DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I moved into a house built in 1985. When fixing a broken sprinkler i noticed that the blue plastic L-shaped part that connects the sprinkler head to the pipe had broken (i think it's called the Riser fitting or Elbow Insert)

So i took it out to get a replacement, but i could not find the correct size anywhere. All stores (HD, Lowes, ace) carry 1/2" and 3/4" and 1" fittings, and none of these fit. After i measured the OD of the sprinkler pipe running underground, i found i needed a 5/8" fitting.

So what's the story? Have they stopped manufacturing 5/8" pipes and fittings for sprinkler systems? Any suggestions on where to get one?

HELP !!!

·
4,080 Posts
Hi All,
I moved into a house built in 1985. When fixing a broken sprinkler i noticed that the blue plastic L-shaped part that connects the sprinkler head to the pipe had broken (i think it's called the Riser fitting or Elbow Insert)

So i took it out to get a replacement, but i could not find the correct size anywhere. All stores (HD, Lowes, ace) carry 1/2" and 3/4" and 1" fittings, and none of these fit. After i measured the OD of the sprinkler pipe running underground, i found i needed a 5/8" fitting.

So what's the story? Have they stopped manufacturing 5/8" pipes and fittings for sprinkler systems? Any suggestions on where to get one?

HELP !!!

Reads a bit confusing to me but I'll try here....

If the o.d. of the pipe or tubing underground is 5/8" inch, then for a internal use barbed fitting as in the pic to fit in to it , then it will have to be a 1/2 ich o.d. barbed fitting. A 5/8" barbed fitting will not fit in a 1/2" inside diameter (5/8" O.D.) pipe/tubing.

·
Registered
9,125 Posts
The poly-pipe used in sprinkler systems (at least the systems used around here) is not standard inside diameter. The barbed fittings you buy at HD plumbing department will not fit (too big, if memory serves me right). You need to find a landscape supply store that sells sprinkler supplies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reads a bit confusing to me but I'll try here....

If the o.d. of the pipe or tubing underground is 5/8" inch, then for a internal use barbed fitting as in the pic to fit in to it , then it will have to be a 1/2 ich o.d. barbed fitting. A 5/8" barbed fitting will not fit in a 1/2" inside diameter (5/8" O.D.) pipe/tubing.
Thanks everyone for your answers. I measured the inner diameter and it is indeed 1/2 inch. I guess i will get the 1/2" barbed fitting and try again. Earlier, I had taken a cutout of the pipe to the store before, and by eyeballing it, it did not seem that the 1/2" fitting would fit the pipe, but i guess i will try again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.