DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some 4" canless downlights to install in a bedroom. The lights are LEDs with a remote metal junction box that simply lays on top of the ceiling, with a connector from the jbox to the light fixture - fixture simply clips onto the sheetrock Fixtures are UL listed.

Inside the metal junction box, there is a ground wire attached to the box; however, the manufacturer's instructions say that the fixture does not need to be grounded, and the ground wire should simply be capped with a wire nut. So according the the manufacturer, I should simply attach black to black, white to white, and cap the ground wire.

Can anyone help me understand why the fixture does not require grounding? Seems like a loose connection could put 120V on the metal jbox with no way to trip the breaker should this happen.

I asked the manufacturer a few days ago, but no response yet. I plan on grounding the fixture, but am really curious to know how following the manufacturer's instructions could be a good idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The jbox connections that are required are for 120V power. Integral to the jbox is what I assume to be some sort of transformer to provide power to the remotely located LED fixture, but I'm connecting 120V service to the jbox.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,115 Posts
The supply ground wire should be connected to the metal box. The instructions are wrong. And the metal box should not be loose on the ceiling, needs to be connected to a framing member.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Usually Confused
9,147 Posts
The supply ground wire should be connected to the metal box. The instructions are wrong. And the metal box should not be loose on the ceiling, needs to be connected to a framing member.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Not all of the driver/junction boxes of the ultra thin LED fixtures have a mounting point for affixing to the framing.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Some drivers are intrinsiclly safe. Basically everything is plastic. But the code says if there is a ground available it must be used and you must maintain grounding continuity in your circuit. Unfortunately not all fixtures have provisions for mounting the box. If it's UL listed and approved it's legitimate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. As I said in my first post, I am definitely going to ground the box since it it metal. I just find it disturbing that the manufacturer's instructions clearly say that no ground is needed despite the fact that they included a ground wire attached to the jbox.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,115 Posts
I cannot fathom how a metal junction box could be UL listed if the instructions say that a ground is not required. Unfortunately I see many LED products for sale that are not UL listed (or another recognized testing agency).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.