DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a tile shower shelf that holds water due to a bullnose being placed too far “up” so it doesn’t allow water to drain. It’s basically traps it. The tile on the shelf is level and in good condition, no racks in tile or grout. Is this something I can place a new tile over to bring the shelf height above the bullnose to allow the water to drain or do I have to pull the bullnose and replace it to the proper height? Thanks in advance

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
What you propose is doable, but it would help if you posted a picture of what you have so we can see what you see.

·
Registered
13,934 Posts
Based on what I'm visualizing, perhaps you could use some kind of resin to even out the shelf. But that would only get you to "flat but level." If you need to introduce some drainage slope, perhaps a piece of tempered glass or plastic sheet material, caulked in place with some slope added?

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's a shame that was not thought out better.

Maybe you could scour the bottom tile in the shelf, then install a layer of those button tiles to fill in the base area? Finish with grout. That would keep it consistent. Do you have spare button tiles? Would they be suitable height wise? But they used black grout ... may have a thick black line towards the round bullnose. Would look better with white.

Super cleaning the grout and tile. Pouring 2 part clear epoxy resin is probably the simplest and cleanest, it would at least not trap water any more.

Otherwise, could approach the same with some plexiglass trimmed to fit and clear silicone. Maybe as an experiment. At least with that the rear could be raised up a little bit.

Could the lower round bullnose be removed, to make way for something - white PVC - that gets slipped in above the bottom ...

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
Once it is cleaned thoroughly, it appears there is about a tile depth of space behind the bullnose/quarter round. If that is the case and you can find a matching/complimentary tile, cut it to a proper size apply thinset to the old tile with a little more in the back than the front. Place your tile in the thinset and press it more in the front than the back to allow for a slope. Once it has had time to cure, use white grout caulk to seal the new edges. It should provide water flow off the bull nose to prevent pooling.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Oh my gosh, what a nightmare design.

Yes, I would thinset in a slightly sloped tile there. Thinset fully/completely underneath so that there is no air space for any water to collect under your tile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts