DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bathroom fan with fan/light/heater, i want to put a timer for the fan and a double switch for the light/heater in the wall box that is on its own circuit, and i have a wall light switch on another circuit i want to put in the same wall box, is that ok? or do i need to nail another box on for the wall light switch?

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
It's perfectly acceptable to have two circuits running through the same box, as long as you're not over-filling the box like darren said. You'll be doing yourself and anyone who works on it in the future a huge favor if you write a note on the back of the switch plate, though.

I usually put something like "TWO CIRCUITS - #2, #7" or whatever on the back of the switch plate in permanent marker, so it's easy to kill both sources of power before working in that box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make sure you keep track of the neutrals. All the ground wires tie together, but on that "other" light switch, did they bring power to the switch box, or the light box?, and is it "Romex"? Reason I ask is, a lot of times they'll bring power to the light, and use the neutral as the hot to the switch and the black for the switch leg. So the white isn't a neutral, and I've gotten a few service calls from a "shocked" homeowner's.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Make sure that each thing (load) uses the neutral from the same circuit that provided the hot and you must not combine the neutrals of the two circuits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts