DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a diagram of my wall outlet....

Can you please tell which wires are which? I am guessing that the black wires are the "line" and "load", and the white wires are "neutral", and the exposed gold wiring in the middle is "ground". Am I correct?

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Black wires in the large wire-nut would be "Line"
Blue wire from the (timer?) is "load"
Lone red wire on one of the switches is also a "load"
Lone black wire on other switch is also a "load"
White wires are "neutral"
Bare wires are "Ground"

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
The bare copper wires are the equipment grounding conductors. The white wires are the grounded conductors commonly called the neutrals. The black wires connected to the red wire nut are the hots or line side if your prefer. They provide power to the switches which in turn supply power to the devices or luminaires when the switch is in the on position.

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
Black wires in the large wire-nut would be "Line"
Blue wire from the (timer?) is "load"
Lone red wire on one of the switches is also a "load"
Lone black wire on other switch is also a "load"
White wires are "neutral"
Bare wires are "Ground"
Damn...........you are quick.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I connect a ground wire to the copper thing in the middle? Just wrap a flexible wire around the copper and twist it?

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
How do I connect a ground wire to the copper thing in the middle? Just wrap a flexible wire around the copper and twist it?
You need to use a proper pressure-type connector, such as a wire-nut, or another crimp sleeve. You may have to remove the present crimp in order to access enough bare conductor to properly add one. A long tail could be utilized to ground all your switches by looping from one to the next.

I noticed your switches are not the grounding type. I would recommend that you consider replacing them both with grounding type. The ones that have a green screw terminal on one side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts