DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have vinyl tile in a foyer and want to lay travestine over it, how to do it and can it be done

·
Registered
924 Posts
I can't think of any reason why you'd want to put a very nice, expensive, heavy, labor-intensive travertine install over top of vinyl. I imagine that the mud wouldn't stick well to the tiles, unless the top coating layer was completely removed and the tile was very well scored. Even then, you could run into problems with the vinyl sliding around, as your mud might cause the adhesive of newer tiles to become liquid again. Especially if these are the sticky 12" kind that come in a box.

I'd highly recommend removing the tile and scraping up any remaining adhesive before you start. It will probably save you time and headaches in the long run.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,205 Posts
There are a lot of criteria to consider before laying tile. Subfloor, deflection, etc. etc. But lets start with this. Take a piece of tile (or something of the same thickness) and place it on the floor in front of the door. Open the door. If the door pushes it out of the way you will have to address this issue as well.
Tiling over vinyl is not a good idea, but whatever you decide, don't forget to account for any change in thickness and how it will affect doorways, transitions to other flooring, etc.

·
Experienced
2,976 Posts
Putting stone down on exiting tile floor is an absolute no no.

There are many steps to get to the part of actually laying the tile, you should do some research on the subject, it is labor intensive and requires the right procedures for it to last.

Mark

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
There are necessary requirements your floor structure must meet before you think about installing any stone tile. Most floor structures aren't suitable without some modifications.;)

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
can you lay travistine tile over vinyl tile
That would be a travesty. :yes:

Kidding aside, that would not be the smartest thing you've ever done. I guarantee you will have more pieces shortly after installing that way than you first installed.

Jaz

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Boy Bud you are sharp and working overtime too. I've been slacking off a bit lately. Kinda hot all week, (100 today), riding my bike every evening to try to stay in shape. And........oh.... the pool. :laughing:

Jaz

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Bud you are sharp and working overtime too.
The truth is I burned out and had to take some time off, so I've been attending to my honey-do list for the past month and hangin' out here. Sorry to say it's back to work on Monday. Just can't put it off any longer.:no:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts