DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Older Newbie
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We installed a huge Fiberon deck 4 years ago and the deck is now warping and boards are splitting. Fiberon will not honor their warranty and say it is all because of faulty installation. :furious: We meticulously worked with our son who is a contractor and the installation is not the problem. Horizontal splits in the board because of faulty installation? Yeh, right! Anyway they are not going to honor the warranty so our next best bet is to install a wood deck over the top of this crap deck. Does anyone see a problem in doing this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Not much to be gained doing that. It would tend to hold moisture and lessen the life span of the new wood. Your best bets would be
1) Rip out the old Fibrin, and replace with wood
2) Sue the contractor
3) Sue the supplier
4) Sue Fiberon

What is the total damages, what state are you in and do you have a lawyer?

Lets see some more photographs, especially looking down onto the deck

·
Older Newbie
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Nope we do not have a lawyer...yet. We spent about $10K in time and materials. Contractor is our son so we do not want to sue him. Home Depot was the supplier so I doubt they would blink and eye at a lawsuit and Fiberon says it's all our fault the deck went bad. Love that no corporation stands behind their products! :censored:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
All of this composite stuff can be a crap shoot.

My brother used Trex, and it stained something awful.

I used Veranda, which was considerably cheaper, it's been down for at least ten years, and with a simple pressure washing every couple years, it still looks like new.

As an aside, what reviews I've read on Fiberon seemed to have the same exact complaint about cupping and splitting.

But, both Trex, and Veranda products have had their problems as well.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The deck looks very odd the way it's, "framed" and I use, "framed' loosely.
All I see are beams balanced on posts sitting on deck piers.
Is there any connections between the individual beams?
Where do you live?

·
Older Newbie
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe we did do it wrong?

We live on the Oregon coast so we get rain. This was our first experience with composite decking so maybe we did do it wrong. We took off the cedar decking and used the joists that were in good shape and installed new joists where we needed to. We put in all new joists on the new extended portion of the deck. There is fascia boards on all sides not against the house. The deck is not attached to the house or house foundation. The piers are set on the ground which is a rocky sandstone shale. There are several other photos in a photo album I set up. Fibron says the cause of the warping is faulty installation but they did not address the splitting boards. I have an inquiry back to them about the splitting boards. I guess I cannot understand how the boards can cup up at the seams and then warp up in other areas. We are having issues with the entire deck and the new part of the deck is set on brand new joists. The old wooden deck sat there for 20 years and we never had a problem with warping or splitting boards until the end of the life expectancy of a wood deck. Like I said the ground is shale not dirt which is exactly what the house is built on. Thank you all for your comments and thoughts about all of this. And also like I said, we will never use composite decking again and the thought of throwing away all of this money makes me want to cry! :(

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Looked at the pictures and have a couple questions on the framing, and one thought on the install.

1. I gather those are 4x8 treated "beams"?

2. Are they spaced 16" on center?

Statement:

On picture 11 there appears to be a gap between the Fiberon and the framing. That gap can, and sometimes will, cause the material to split, and is a sign of improper installation.

If there are any other areas where the Fiberon material wasn't tight to the framing, that too can can the cupping and warping.

Sad to say, it actually does look like the installation is what caused at least part of the problem. :(

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Did the manufacturer actually come to your home to inspect the deck or do they just make the determination from pictures you provided? If they didn't come and look at the deck themselves I don't see how they can say it was incorrectly installed. I first move would be to have a competent deck builder who is familiar with the material look at the deck and give you his opinion as to what happened. His opinion would go along way in court especially if the manufacturer never even looked at the deck.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
12" OC is not a requirement, but it is a very good idea with any of the composite decking.

16" OC will generally be fine (my deck is and there's no issues), but 24" OC will result in a mess.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I can understand how Fiberon has come to this conclusion.This is far from traditional deck framing and it's all floating on these piers.The joists are not tied together in any way except for the ledger and rim.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I can understand how Fiberon has come to this conclusion.This is far from traditional deck framing and it's all floating on these piers.The joists are not tied together in any way except for the ledger and rim.
We don't even know if they have seen the framing At all nor even the deck itself in person. Those pictures were taken prior to the Fiberon. Without knowing this information we have no idea what information they were basing their rejection of the warranty claim on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.