DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
No.
Build under that.
A wall with 2 x 6 ceiling joist. Check to see if you can get by with height then for the door. May be able with the low ceiling height brackets

·
Registered
812 Posts
Also build your wall between those post with 2 x 4's and 4' x 8' sheets of smartside siding from a place like home depot.

·
General Contractor
84 Posts
I think it might hold a cheap, non insulated, sheet metal door, but just because you could, doesn't mean you should.

The main thing I would question is the ability to attach the side rails and whether or not it would rack, pinching the door.

At the least, I do agree that it would be best to add a wood frame to it to support the rails and have more strength.

Follow me on Instagram: "@amanteafinewoodworks"

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Frame the walls in wood like the others have mentioned. You have plenty of height there, don't use low headroom brackets on the door, those are a last resort. Rough frame your overhead door opening to the same size of the door you plan to use. Choose your door height so it leaves you at least 14" from the top of the opening to the bottom of the ceiling joists. That will leave you room for a torsion spring setup above the door with 12" radius upper track. The door will roll smoothly and still leave you room for an opener. Minimum space above the door for the opener is 2", which the 14" will provide.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Need a lot more information. Everyone is saying build a wall but no one has asked what the wall is being built on. What the carport has for a base or footers. What size the beams are and what are the beams made of. Do not forget there are plenty of portable carports that have garage doors on them. Just google it. A garage doors weight is supported on the overhead track, now if you want to put an opener on it that changes things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts