DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am attempting to install a water softener. The previous owner cut the copper water supply likes that come from the ball valves flush with valves when he took the water softener (please see attached photos). What are chances of getting the piece of pipe out of the valves without damaging the ball valve? Tips/advice. THANK YOU!

Thanks,
Mark B

Attachments

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Makes me think someone soldered them without having the valve open when I see the stems leaking like that because they where over heated.
If it was mine I cut out the whole thing about 6" away from those Tees with an oscillating saw, deburr and clean the old main line, and remake the whole thing as an assembly.
Then use repair couplings to reconnect everything.

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
I don't want to start an arguement but, I was trained back in the 80's to solder ball valves closed per some manufacturers specs.
But now I do it either way as I don't believe there is a wrong way- except applying too much heat or heating wrong.
Joe had a good idea though, build the by pass assembly on a bench and cut it in using couplings

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the help!

I do not know much about plumbing (big secret). Looking to learn. Why replace the gate valve? Also, 6 inches after both tees? Seem like a lot of pipe? THANK YOU!

Mark
:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.