DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not an actual electrical question, but I figured most of you work we these materials a lot. Basically I have a heavy wooden crate and I'd like to use some lengths of conduit as carry poles so more than one person can carry it (sort of like carrying a stretcher). Not sure what to attach the ends to allow the conduit to be slid in and out. Was thinking the horseshoe shaped pipe hangers, with some small bolts through the wood, but didn't know if they were designed to actually hold weight. Only ever used them to hold a pipe to the wall or something.
Any other ideas? Might just make a little wooden box, but was worried the wood might split. Probably about 60-70lbs. Thought about a length of PVC but wasn't sure if it not being flush would be a problem, and it wouldn't look as nice.
Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There are several types of pipe hangers available... The electrical types are real high weight rated. I'd go with a plumbing type for the best weight rating. Here's one:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Two of these conduit clamps mounted to the top edge of the box on each end with screws will work to slide 2 conduit pipes through for a 2 man Gurney carry. For steep slopes a stop may be required to prevent the box from sliding down the rails.

And depending on what needs to be carried a quick simple light weight Gurney can be made by rolling a small canvas Tarp onto each pole.

Edit: Edit:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I meant to type "The electrical types are NOT real high weight rated but brain eye hand coordination went off somewhere. Most of the electrical one don't list a weight rating but pinch clamp with the 1/4-20 in it is rated for only 50#.

Yes, those have a threaded hub in the base. You could cut threaded rod to fit or use carriage bolts if you need a smooth finish and don't want to washer it up to get more wood involved.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Use U-bolts, not pipe or conduit hangers. U-bolts are designed to carry heavy loads in exactly this kind of application. For the tubes themselves, consider rigid conduit or galvanized pipe. EMT conduit isn't very strong.

Reactions: bcemail

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
U-bolts may work, but you'd probably need to cut off the excess length inside the crate.

What I'd do is get a length of 1-1/4" conduit, and cut it in half (or to the length of the crate). Fasten a piece to each side of the crate. Get a couple lengths of 1" conduit, and cut to the appropriate length for carrying the crate. Slip the "handles" through the conduit sleeves that are attached to the box, drill a hole for a locating bolt or cotter pin.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
You’re in the wrong craft. Electrical equipment including EMT is specialized and should only be used for one single purpose: Geodesic domes :)

Water pipe is much stronger than EMT at the same diameter. Further, water pipe is threaded - and that makes much more secure connections.

For instance if the structure is rigid enough, you can attach pipe flanges intended for stanchions. You thread a short pipe into it to use as a handle.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
U-bolts may work, but you'd probably need to cut off the excess length inside the crate.

What I'd do is get a length of 1-1/4" conduit, and cut it in half (or to the length of the crate). Fasten a piece to each side of the crate. Get a couple lengths of 1" conduit, and cut to the appropriate length for carrying the crate. Slip the "handles" through the conduit sleeves that are attached to the box, drill a hole for a locating bolt or cotter pin.
I was thinking of trying something similar with a larger pipe holding a smaller one. Will the conduit be pretty easy to drill so I can bolt it to the box?
Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You’re in the wrong craft. Electrical equipment including EMT is specialized and should only be used for one single purpose: Geodesic domes :)

Water pipe is much stronger than EMT at the same diameter. Further, water pipe is threaded - and that makes much more secure connections.

For instance if the structure is rigid enough, you can attach pipe flanges intended for stanchions. You thread a short pipe into it to use as a handle.
That's an interesting idea! The flanges would be pretty flush to the box as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Did some testing. Screwed a #12 wood screw 2" long to a ceiling joist and i can do pull-ups on that 1 screw, but i only weigh 206 on a good day.

So now let's fasten 4 hangers to the box with 8 #12 wood screws. How much weight do we suppose 2 guys can carry up a slope.:vs_laugh:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did some testing. Screwed a #12 wood screw 2" long to a ceiling joist and i can do pull-ups on that 1 screw, but i only weigh 206 on a good day.

So now let's fasten 4 hangers to the box with 8 #12 wood screws. How much weight do we suppose 2 guys can carry up a slope.:vs_laugh:
Sounds like with those pull ups we just you to come camping with us and carry it for us!

I was worried the straps would bend or break or something, but maybe the force would all be one the screw/bolt and the strap would be the weak point. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Lets do some testing on the cheeeeep.

Build the box and install 2 hangers. Place a 48 quart ice chest in the box and fill with water. IIR the water alone will weigh about 96 lbs. Insert the conduit through the 2 hangers and lift.

If i lived next door i'd come help with the test but have second thoughts about hill climbing.:biggrin2:

Edit Edit:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.