DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I only have weekends for this stuff and there's just not enough hours in a day. Does it matter if I apply a coat of Gardz one weekend, then skim coat the following weekend or 2? Or does the skim coat need to be done within a couple of days?

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
You will be fine----the Guards has done its job---

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
You skim coat before you prime. The reason for the skim coat is to equal the porosity of the mud and sheetrock. I have never heard of priming before skim coating and using gardz is a bit over kill. The only reason I would use it is for smoke damage or mold stains. A good PVA primer is just fine and will save money.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
You skim coat before you prime. The reason for the skim coat is to equal the porosity of the mud and sheetrock. I have never heard of priming before skim coating and using gardz is a bit over kill. The only reason I would use it is for smoke damage or mold stains. A good PVA primer is just fine and will save money.

no good for either of these applications
he was using it to seal up old paint and bare drywall, which it IS good for
he will also need it to prime the skim coat

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
If the drywall is damaged from wall paper removal,for example, you need to prime before skim coating----or the paper face will bubble----

Reactions: DaFish

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Maybe just me but in a case like this I prime or at least spot prime before skim and the I prime before paint.
The before is to seal the old stuff. The after is for the paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts