DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (one) recessed light in my covered entry outside and I want to replace it with a regular light. I removed a portion of the mounting frame and can modify it to hold the fixture. I am concerned about the ground wire that came with the light I am going to install. I am assuming that the armored cable from the recessed light will serve as the ground. If that's so what do I do with the ground wire attached to the light fixture? Can I even use the same wiring? Thanks...Brett

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
First, if there is enough slack in the existing feed, try to remove the old fixture and install a new jbox and mount your new fixture on that.

If that's not gonna work, run a short piece of cable from the old fixture jbox to a new jbox and mount the new fixture on/over that.

Do something smart with the ground. You could use a cable with a ground to the new jbox and secure the ground wire adaquately in the old jbox.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.