DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a green transformer box in my lawn. it's said on the box that"keep energized electrical equipment 10feet away" will anything bad happen if i use a 12 amp electric mower very close to the transformer box? tia

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
there is a green transformer box in my lawn. it's said on the box that"keep energized electrical equipment 10feet away" will anything bad happen if i use a 12 amp electric mower very close to the transformer box? tia
You have any nameplate data from the box? Make, model, serial #, a photo?

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Here it is, thans for the help. Does the "50" mean it operates at 50Hz? I thought all US utility frequency is 60Hz? If my equipment is at 60 Hz, will there be interference related problems?
From the label pic, they seem to want a clear space free of permanent structures around the 'former so they can get to it.
The "energized equipment" refers to the 'former.
Some people may cover the box over with a wooden housing or the like, plant bushes close by, etc., preventing access for servicing.
Your basement load center also has accessibility req'mts.

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
I'm not sure how you read what you did from the label, because it says nothing that you quoted:laughing:.

And the "50" is the kVA power rating of the transformer, which is basically 50 kW.

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
As stated above, they're just trying to cover their hides. The biggest thing here is they're trying to scare you into thinking you shouldn't go near the transformer.

The fact is, it's encased in a fairly thick metal box. What they don't want to happen is someone thinking this box is an ideal workbench. And drilling a hole in something on top of it. And drilling the hole into it.

If a hole is drilled into the top of the front half, where the connections are, and the bit is shorter than about 6", no big deal. If the hole is drilled into the back half, where the core and coils are, and the bit is longer than about 4", BOOM! Even if the bit were shorter, the oil would become contaminated, and sooner or later, BOOM!

You can safely get your mower right up to it without issue. Just don't mow the box open. lol.

Rob

P.S. Those numbers on the tag mean; 50 KVA aka 50,000 VA, or very close to 50,000 watts; the primary voltage is 13,200 (instant death if touched), primary current is 3.78 amps; secondary voltage is 120/240 (this is what goes to your house), secondary current is 208 amps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
P.S. Those numbers on the tag mean; 50 KVA aka 50,000 VA, or very close to 50,000 watts; the primary voltage is 13,200 (instant death if touched), primary current is 3.78 amps; secondary voltage is 120/240 (this is what goes to your house), secondary current is 208 amps.[/quote]

Is 13200 voltage same as those high power lines? Will such transformer have potential healh risks to human? I have a same one in my front yard. Thank you!

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
Is 13200 voltage same as those high power lines? Will such transformer have potential healh risks to human? I have a same one in my front yard. Thank you!
No one has yet stated conclusively whether there are any ill health effects from power transmission. But we can be sure of one thing: the electromagnetic field of a table lamps is hundreds of times stronger than the power lines outside. This is simple physics, and is known as the inverse square law.

The voltage of high tension transmission lines is usually alot higher than 13,200 V. I have one a couple miles from where I live that is 500,000 V. But at any rate, it is NOT the voltage that determines the strength of the field, it is the current. And the amount of current flowing along those lines is probably just a few tens of amps at any given time. The appliances in your home have more EM effect on you.

If you want to be concerned, I'd be concerned about the high frequency radiation that is being beamed through us by radio, TV, and cell phone towers...

·
DIYer
910 Posts
But at any rate, it is NOT the voltage that determines the strength of the field, it is the current.
That's right... if you are talking about only the magnetic field. But the voltage field is determined by the voltage.

This is why you can stand under the big lines and light up a florescent light just by holding it.

So it's not entirely a given that living under the big lines for an extended period has no health effects. There's no acute danger though.

--big lines being the 700k+ ones... a 13.2 ... don't sweat it. :)

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
That's right... if you are talking about only the magnetic field. But the voltage field is determined by the voltage.

This is why you can stand under the big lines and light up a florescent light just by holding it.

So it's not entirely a given that living under the big lines for an extended period has no health effects. There's no acute danger though.

--big lines being the 700k+ ones... a 13.2 ... don't sweat it. :)
But we have lived under high electric fields for all of our human existence. Every time a thunderstorm comes over the field gradient can be several thousand volts/m. I think it is pretty natural for humans to be exposed to electric fields, that's why I didn't mention it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But we have lived under high electric fields for all of our human existence. Every time a thunderstorm comes over the field gradient can be several thousand volts/m. I think it is pretty natural for humans to be exposed to electric fields, that's why I didn't mention it.
I guess that's a difference of chronic and ocassional. Since those transformers will be sitting in front of the houses forever while a thunderstorm is a thunderstorm.
Is there any way that we can measure the electric or maganetic field of those transformers? I also have some other utility boxes in front of my house, not sure what they are though. Is there a county department to contact or a tool to use?

·
DIYer
910 Posts
I guess that's a difference of chronic and ocassional. Since those transformers will be sitting in front of the houses forever while a thunderstorm is a thunderstorm.
Is there any way that we can measure the electric or maganetic field of those transformers? I also have some other utility boxes in front of my house, not sure what they are though. Is there a county department to contact or a tool to use?
http://www.google.com/search?q=trifield+meter

You can use a trifield meter to measure electric and magnetic fields. But there's really no scientific consensus as to what levels are dangerous, if any.... So really you shouldn't worry about it too much. I wouldn't choose a house right under major transmission lines... but I also wouldn't worry about utility boxes in my front yard. These fields fall off quickly.

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
Well, even "chronically" there is an ever present electric field from the sky overhead, it just isn't as strong as a thunderstorm, and is probably higher than the fields presented by power lines.

I don't want to say there is no effect, but is it dangerous? We don't know. Like Gigs said above, and I said about the inverse square law, the fields rapidly decrease in strength as the distance is increased. The TV has more of an effect than the power lines. Your hair dryer washes you with EM radiation much more powerful than the transformer. Your cell phone beams radiation straight into your head. TV and radio stations broadcast high frequency radiation continuously and from every direction.

There are worse things to fear than power lines and transformers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts