DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(My wife has chosen a new range hood matching all the new appliances, but it is not a brand I am familiar with, made in China, and the speeds are
fast and loud
really fast and louder
rocket launch and loud.
It is expensive and nicely installed, and is staying put...therefore,

I would like to add something to the circuit/switch of the lowest setting to cut its current so that we have at least one quite slow quiet setting. It is convenient. This is not a solid state control I don't think. Should I include a picture of the control setup or am I wasting my time?
Thanks

·
4,080 Posts
Brand new, expensive, just installed.

Three words that to me, would prompt me to call the supplier and ask this question of them. They should know whether or not, the motor will be damaged by putting a speed controller on it. And will the warranty be effected by doing so.

A replacement motor may or may not be easy to get. JMO

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
They did something similar with the fans on AC window units when they switched them to 3 speeds instead of 5. The low speed on 5 was so nice & quiet. Now the low speed on 3, is just like your hood range. I wonder if I could even find a 5 speed window unit these days.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
It could be done !
But what about warrantty and UL listing
as both will be affectted if you do !
You need to find out what type of motor they use.
Normally they are just small induction motors,
In which case an electronic speed controller can be used.
But you need to be sure.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
You will want to find out whether the lowest existing speed does a reasonable job of capturing cooking vapors. You might test with a lit cigarette sitting on a plate in the middle of the range burner array. No point in slowing down the fan further if the lowest setting already provided does not work well.

·
Deleted Member
596 Posts
(My wife has chosen a new range hood matching all the new appliances, but it is not a brand I am familiar with, made in China, and the speeds are
fast and loud
really fast and louder
rocket launch and loud.
It is expensive and nicely installed, and is staying put...therefore,

I would like to add something to the circuit/switch of the lowest setting to cut its current so that we have at least one quite slow quiet setting. It is convenient. This is not a solid state control I don't think. Should I include a picture of the control setup or am I wasting my time?
Thanks
You can try the Mfr. Some of them sell damping kits.

Apart from that,
1) put up with the noise
2)get a new fan
3)get a new wife

Whichever is more convenient :biggrin2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all good ideas.

No, I don't care about the warranty. I may end up buying a new one anyway.

What I was looking for was perhaps a circuit that I could just add inline on the one wire to the lowest speed switch. I have looked and the whole switch unit is indeed solid state and one small sealed unit with five wires entering.

Is there a type of circuit I could get to just wire into the one line and cut its current so that the motor ran more slowly on that speed....of even just add a pot controller of some kind, drill the hood and stick it out the front so I could dial in a lower current. I have done that sort of thing with electronics as an amateur AV tech, but not playing with electric house current.

Any idea on circuits or controllers that could be added?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
If the existing controler just switchs between high and low ?
Then an electronic speed controler could be inserted in series.
But if it contains electronics then it may not work properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts