DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wire Chewer
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have a 8 foot pvc stack going straight up through a chimney chase, and I strapped romex on it which will be used to power a fan hooked up to this pipe. This is not a water pipe, but an exhaust pipe.

I did not want to just let the wire dangling in there without it being secured to something so figured the pipe may be the best bet. Is there any code issue with strapping wire to a pipe like this?

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
You might want to find a different way to support it. I don't think you're supposed to support one system (electrical, plumbing, whatever) with another. Dunno for sure tho. I'd probably do it. What kind of exhaust? Does it get hot?

·
Wire Chewer
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a bathroom fan exhaust (not yet active). Very odd setup but due to my attic layout, and the fact I really wanted to use an inline fan, the pipe basically goes up the attic along the water heater chimney (insulated, does not get hot) and exhausts from the bathroom ceiling, to a basement wall. So rather then let the wire dangle all over in there it seemed to make more sense to attach it to the pipe. The wire will power the fan. I will also staple it at both ends and where I can but no way I can get right inside that chase.

·
liscenced electrician
1,018 Posts
the main code issue i see is theres no approved supports that could be attatched to the pipe. (Other than maybe running a screw with a strap into the pipe, which i don't recommend) I personally wouldn't do it, id find another route to run the wire

·
Do work
147 Posts
Sounds like the way you ran it was the fastest way from A to B without ripping open the walls. While I have no idea about codes, I would have done it that way too.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
You don't need to fasten cable that has been "fished" .... Just fasten it at the top and bottom of the chaseway where accessible

1 - 6 of 6 Posts