DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Im making three bedrooms in my basement and i have run all the 12-2 wires and installed all the new work boxes for my outlets.

I have three different circuits for all these outlets.

Question is.... now that my lights are all gonna be led and barely draw power can i just run my ceiling lights off of power that i can grab from the outlets and skip a dedicated light circuit?

Also is so. ...can i run 14-2 wire from my outlets to my switch then to my ceiling light.
(My outlet boxes are all 12-2 wire)

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
Unless you are in Canada you can have lights and receptacles on 20 amp bedroom circuits. You can not use #14 wire on any part of a 20 amp general purpose circuit.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jim Port

·
Super Moderator
20,955 Posts
Yes in Canada all lights MUST be on 15 amp circuits. It can be mixed with receptacles up to 12 outlets (light fixture, receptacle) per circuit.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I think you misunderstood Neal - he said he would definitely not use 14 ga wire if the breaker was 20 amp, as this is a code violation.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
They require Arc Fault Protection, not necessarily AFCI breakers.

"The new Rule 26-724(f) of the 2015 Canadian Electrical Code requires all branch circuits in dwelling units supplying 125V receptacles rated 15A or 20A to be protected by a combination-type arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI), except that branch circuits supplying receptacles installed in accordance with Rules 26-710 (f) and 26-712(d) (i), (iii), (iv) and (v), and those supplying only one receptacle for the connection of a cord-connected refrigerator or sump pump, are exempt from the requirement for arc-fault protection."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts