DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a house and in the basement there was an existing shower. The shower base was simply concrete poured on top of the basement concrete floor with a drain, no tiles.

When I demo'd the shower walls, they used the green drywall and 3 layers of 1mil plastic, but I found no rubber liner that I would expect to see coming up from under the concrete shower base.

Here's the shower base: (The insulation is on an exterior wall)

http://basementbathroom.shutterfly.com/pictures/11

In the following photo, the white line between the concrete and wall stud is the drywall

http://basementbathroom.shutterfly.com/pictures/11#9

How can I get that proper waterproof layer that's needed for the base and the walls?

Can I just install concrete board on the walls and then get a nice continuous layer of redguard on the floor and walls?

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
I think that there is to much wrong with that base to make it saalvageable.

The drain is in the far end and I bet it is only 1 1/2"--

The pitch doesn't look very good either----How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

There are three good ways to build your own shower base---

Membrane under the pan-----pan and walls first--then a brush on membrane--and the Schluter system ,with a surface mounted membrane--

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Hydroban showers are a safe method---if the pan/wall connection is stable.

That is usually done by hanging the rock first and then casting the base against the wall---not possible now.

How big is the drain?Is it an adjustable drain that can be set for tile?

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
If the drain and P-trap are old and rusty---I urge you to rip it out and update the drain.

Mighty big expense rebuilding the shower walls only to have a lousy pan and worn out drain.

It's your house so ,of course you must make the decisions--but I think building on top of that poorly made base and old rust drain is not wise.

I build bathrooms---a lot of them---and my suggestions come from my world----Mike-----

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the drain and P-trap are old and rusty---I urge you to rip it out and update the drain.

Mighty big expense rebuilding the shower walls only to have a lousy pan and worn out drain.

It's your house so ,of course you must make the decisions--but I think building on top of that poorly made base and old rust drain is not wise.

I build bathrooms---a lot of them---and my suggestions come from my world----Mike-----
Would love to know what you decided and how it turned out

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
If you can deal with the drain, you can put up drywall or cement board or Kerdi Board, put Kerdi membrane over the curb and pan, and you're ready for tiling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.