DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a failing breaker panel (flickering lights, one lug looks like it's burnt etc..) for a few years now and bought the exact same one a while back (JA1020B1100F by Murray/Siemens) to replace the guts. I opened it up yesterday and the mounting screws are in different positions. Pictures below:

Burnt lug:

Current panel (screws are on top and bottom):

New panel (screws are on sides):

I was thinking about just getting some self tapping machine screws and screw the panel into the can, essentially making new holes. Is that OK to do?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
ANY changes to a panel will void it's UL listing !
putting insurance at risk
So it depends on your priorities !

Electrically it will work
If done properly, may even be safe

But insurance companies and legal eagles
don't look at it that way
To them it's black or white
No shades of grey

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,129 Posts
It is not much more work to change the entire thing, you have all the replacements , Why not do it right, and save yourself the hassle of adapting it to fit.

You are taking it apart to replace the
"guts" So everything is already disconnected, and a few more screws and the shell is gone, and hang the replacement, and reinstall the wiring.

Besides insurance adjusters are always looking for things that are not as original, so they can weasel out of paying a claim.

Why risk it?

ED

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welp, called an electrician and he's gonna replace the guts by pulling the meter. After many weeks of debating I am opting not to doing it myself and letting the professional handle it. This guy comes with a slew of recommendations, so I trust him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.