DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am turning a storage building out in the middle of nowhere into a rustic mountain cabin. For this project, I am all about functional and cheap.

I will need to install several new windows into spots where no windows were before, so I will have to cut and frame new openings. The existing siding is T1-11 nailed to the studs (no OSB or anything underneath). I bought several used double-pane aluminum sliders with nailing flanges for super cheap (they had been removed from an apartment complex).

The guy I bought them from (a contractor) said I can just cut and frame my opening and nail or screw the flanges straight to the siding. He didn't mention how to seal that. I don't see how that can be done in a way that will keep water out. Seems like at the top of the opening I need to tuck a drip cap under the siding and over the flange and edge of the window to divert water out, which means I will need to cut the siding back and fasten the flange to the framing. Also, I plan to trim out the window with 1x4s, if that matters.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to fasten the flange directly to the siding and flash it to keep water out? Or do I need to cut the siding back a few inches, flash and then cover the gap with trim?

Also, how should I handle the sides and bottom? Can I just cover the nail flange with adhesive membrane, or maybe use a piece of flashing on the bottom to divert water to the outside of the siding and then hide it with 1x4 trim?

Thanks for the help. Most of the installation instructions I've found online are for buildings with sheathing and then siding on top that can be taken off.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
You are correct---the flange needs to be under the siding---and under the tar paper or Tyvek if it exists---

then taped with window tape---then trimmed in---with a drip cap above the trim.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
You didn't include your location . Don't know how much precipitation you get .
IF precip from above window isn't a problem (low overhanging roof edge) you could attach over flat siding .

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's in the mountains of North Carolina, which get a lot of rain, and some of the windows will be on a gable wall so not very well protected from the elements. Sounds like for those I need to cut back the siding

A couple of the windows will be well protected. If I want to attach those to the siding, how would you recommend sealing it?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You tape in this order: bottom, sides, top, overlap all intersections. Goal is always to shed the water down. I would seal below the nail flange and over it.

Cut the opening, frame the window, tape the framing , mount the window, flash per above post, tape again, apply some trim to hide the flange and caulk it well. 4" tape sold at Lowes or HD is all you need.

Flashing at the top that tucks under the siding and over the top trim is highly desirable.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Trying to save a few bucks can cost you you far more then it's worth.
We have no pictures of these windows.
Are they flat jamb, built in J molding, made for brick walls?
No way would I be using wood molding to trim them out!
Use PVC trim no more rot.
Pictures would be a big help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.