DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The outer coating on my service wire is cracked and some area homeowners when they went to sell house the buyers required the service wire to be replaced. I was thinking if I had to get this replaced, I might install 200 amp wire but I only have a 100 amp box in case someone wants 200 amp service. Is this a waste of money? I have plenty of empty breaker slots, I have a gas stove, dryer, gas forced hot air heater, the only thing electric is the ac compressor and the heater fan, other than lights.

I have a friend that is a retired electric company employee that charges $25/hr so it wouldn't cost that much.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
This should be a negotiated item. As the seller you can choose not to upgrade. The buyers can ask, but why would you pay for someone else wish when the service is serving the needs?

Reactions: TRI0N

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
I think your question is can you use a 200A feeder from the meter to the main which is breakered by 100A.

To the best of my knowledge, I think yes. BUT CAVEAT,I'M NOT AN ELECTRICIAN

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Upgrading the cable between meter and panel is just a small part of the upgrade process.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Jim.... I don't think he has any plans on upgradinbg....I think he's concerned for some reason the cable sheath of his cable is splitting...and might have to be replaced on inspection.

I think he's thinking...might as well replace with 200A cable verse replace with 100A....I guess if at some future date , someone wants to upgrade.

"The outer coating on my service wire is cracked and some area homeowners when they went to sell house the buyers required the service wire to be replaced...."

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Talking about moving, 2-3 yrs, she wants to, I don't think it makes financial sense. She wants to move across the river to PA from NJ to be 5-15 miles away from daughter, twin 13 yr. old grand girls and 5 yr old grandson from 17 miles away and to save $2,000 in taxes. Our NJ property taxes are frozen at age 65, PA is not I've been told.

I'm not improving the house for others, I'm improving the house for our enjoyment. Chances if we sell, the buyers may not care about it. I don't know about the home inspector. I called the town electrical inspector, a former electrical company owner in the area, he said leave it, it's fine, paint it, see if whoever buys the house complains.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Again...I believe yes you can.........but you will not be gaining anything from it...

Now if selling,,,,that's a different judgement call.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Just a side note, that water getting into the cable can degrade the neutral from corrosion.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a side note, that water getting into the cable can degrade the neutral from corrosion.
So because the outside has cracks, though I have kept a heavy coat of paint on it, water infiltrates everything, and it's possible that water has infiltrated this cable, so rather than saving a few dollars, $75?, But a new piece.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
I would replace it with 100 amp. Chance are if you want to upgrade to 200 amp it will not be suitable. The panel, meter base and riser will need changing and the cable might not be long enough. Or they might go conduit all the way and then you don't use that type of cable.

·
Red Seal Electrician
290 Posts
You can only install wire as large as the conduit and lugs are sized for.

You may be to put yourself into 125-150A league going up a size or 2, and/or switching from alum to copper.

However, the conductors from the weatherhead to the meter would still be too small.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts