DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have a nice tile back splash without ugly outlets in the middle. The custom made angled outlets are expensive.$30 for a box vs $7 for surface mount.
can I install 2 surface mount electrical outlets under kitchen cabinets so the outlets are facing the ground? does code require they be angled. I think Charlotte, NC is under 2018 NEC.
Rectangle Product Slope Font Line

·
Red Seal Electrician
731 Posts
Code aside, I've got no beef with it. If anything, when the socket tension becomes too slack/worn... you'll actually replace it so the plugs don't keep falling out.

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,161 Posts
Novel idea, I have never done it, don't know why you could not do it. Fumes from the stove may be a problem for the outlets in several years.

I have put outlets in the face frames of lower outlets

·
Registered
619 Posts
As long as the receptacles end up being no higher than 20" about the work surface, you can mount them there.

NC is still under the 2017 code for the short term. The expected switch to 2020 is in October. Note, there's not any difference in the two versions with regard to outlet placement. The 2020 code does place additional requirements on longer peninsulas and islands (over nine feet).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
haven't seen any strips that have tamper resistant plugs which are required under code. your local code must be an older version of the NEC.
These angled strips are tamper resistant.

More options, including lighted strips.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
712 Posts
Are you pulling a permit? If not, tamper-resistent won't matter...
Not GFCI protection, heck, no grounds for that matter either. Heck why stop there, save some money and nix the boxes and just do open wiring on knobs.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,462 Posts
Not GFCI protection, heck, no grounds for that matter either. Heck why stop there, save some money and nix the boxes and just do open wiring on knobs.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
Geeze.....SPARKY...Take it easy....U2SLOW is not argueing that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts