DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exposed beam that runs across the room from on wall to the opposite wall about 8' high and level with floor. the ceiling is sloped from one side to the other from about 9' to about 17'.

The beam was covered with sheetrock and I thought is was just a triple 2x8, but now with the sheetrock off I can see that its 2 2x8s, with 2 2x4s sandwiched horizontally between the 2x8s so as to make a box. the box has wires inside that lead to a fixture mounted on the outside which I want to move to an other location on the beam. A poker think through a 1" hole near the fixture revealed that there is a tensioned cable inside. In order to move the fixture and wire I need access to he inside. I dont want to just start drilling holes all over.

Does anyone know anything about where i can drill holes and how much, for example maybe the 2x4s are not structural at all, I dont know. What I would like to do is just drill some small 1" holes to stick a thing in there to pull the wire out of a different location.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Just drill through the two bye eight, miss the two bye fours, and don't hit the tensioned cable. Use a fish tape toull through where you want. Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts