DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Enormous Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I'm planning on putting in some hardwired smoke detectors in my house.. I've got everything figured out where and how it's going to go... but.. then I thought about CO detectors.

I don't have one in my home as of yet.. and I know they're required by law in my state (WI) as of Feb '11.

I guess I'm wondering if I can include a detector in my chain of smokes... or if it has to be separate.

I know they do sell combo detectors.. which would solve all my questions but, I've heard it mentioned that the combo detectors don't work as well as dedicated ones... also, they're not the cheapest things in the world... especially since you're supposed to replace them every few years.

I'm curious, on new constructions, how/where are they installing CO detectors?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I believe the code says one on each floor where gas/fuel fed appliances are used in a dwelling unit/house/apartment.

Combo units are quite common AFAIK.

·
Enormous Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Code05...

I just found the installation instructions online for my model of detector and yes, I can include combo detectors in my chain. So, it looks like I could stick one in at the bottom of my basement stairs and in my hallway on the main floor and stick the smoke-onlys in each bedroom and I'll be all copacetic (I live in a cookie-cutter 50's ranch, btw).

Thanks again!

·
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO
369 Posts
The fire code states that a co detector has to be within 10 feet of any bedroom. Co and Smoke detectors have to be installed at least 4" from wall or ceiling and have to be 3 feet from any hvac vent and ceiling fan blade tip. Your loacal area may have other regs.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The fire code states that a co detector has to be within 10 feet of any bedroom. Co and Smoke detectors have to be installed at least 4" from wall or ceiling and have to be 3 feet from any hvac vent and ceiling fan blade tip. Your loacal area may have other regs.
Is that IFC/IRC 2009 or NFPA 72?

·
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO
369 Posts
NFPA 72 - Article 11.8 - Installation

• As stated above all smoke alarms are to be installed as per NFPA 72. Listed below are graphics showing the correAddition requirements as to where smoke alarms can ct locations where to install the smoke alarms. not be installed are as follows:
      • Shall not be located where ambient conditions, including humidity and temperature, are outside the limits of the manufacturer's requirements
      • Shall not be located in areas where temperatures fall below 40 degrees F or exceed 100 degrees F
      • Shall not be mounted on a poorly insulated surface that may become considerably cooler or warmer than the room it is in. For example, if the ceiling is poorly insulated, then the smoke should be mounted on a wall
      • If a smoke alarm is installed within 20'-0" horizontally of a cooking appliance, the smoke alarm shall be equipped with a alarm-silencing means or be of the photoelectric type
      • Shall not be installed within 3'-0" horizontally from a door to a kitchen or a bathroom containing a tub or shower
      • Shall not be installed within 3'-0" horizontally from the supply registers of a forced air heating or cooling system and shall not be installed within the direct airflow of these registers. It does not discuss return air registers
      • Shall not be installed within 3'-0" horizontally from the tip of the blade of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan.

Proper Flat Ceiling or Wall Installation

Proper Installation at Peaked Ceilings

Proper Installation at Sloped Ceilings
  • If someone uses a proprietary fire and or smoke alarm system, they must be required evidence that they own all of the equipment as well as the control panel. In other words, if the homeowner moves or discontinues their service that all of the equipment and control panels stay in the dwelling. Also, the homeowner must prove that if the system is disconnected to the monitoring service that the proprietary system will work locally. If this can not be proven, then standard smoke alarms will be required to be installed separately from the proprietary system.
Copyright NFPA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts