DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting ready to put down wood flooring in our house. I would like to buy some untreated 1x4 and 1x6 pieces of lumber to use. We would then treat, stain, and seal it ourselves. I need someone with more experience tell me if this is possible. Is this lumber just as durable as the pre-stained and treated wood flooring? If it is, would I save money doing it this way? I know I would have to rent a sander, as well as the cost of the stain, sealer, etc.

If it's going to end up costing around the same as the ready to install flooring, I'll probably go that route. But I'd like y'all's opinions first. Thanks!

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,105 Posts
Probably depends on what you buy and how much you want to work. Most regular lumber is pine and it is soft and doesn't wear very well. You should really put a tongue and groove on it, too.

Reactions: Joanmarie75

·
85 Posts
can i buy regular lumber for flooring

hi, can you do it yes, will it work. well as rusty said most pine is regular lumber. but one of the hardest types of pine is southern yellow pine. it needs to be tongue and groove or it will separate and lift . there are different types of southern yellow pine. depending on your location tag pine flooring is available at some lumber yards in various sizes. it is untreated. not prefinished at all. hope this helps a little.

·
JOATMON
15,254 Posts
Splinters.....expect splinters.....

You would be surprised at the sales you can get on engineered flooring. We did our sons room for about $1/sq ft. No, it's not going to last 30 years. If we get 15 out of it, it will already be gone...as well as his younger brother and sister. By then, what we want in there will change.

·
Registered
37,181 Posts
By your question I'm guessing you've never done flooring before and have no clue how much work that would be.
You can buy unfinished real wood flooring with the T & G already on it.
Going to go rent a flooring nailer, all the different floor sanders, tons of sand paper, cleaning cloths, stain, poly, pads to apply the poly.
Not going to be able to walk on the floor for at least 24 hours, not going to be able to move furniture in for even longer then that, plus all the odors.
Install prefinished hardwood or engineered flooring and there's no sanding, no smell, use the room as soon as the floor goes down, only need to rent or by a flooring nailer and the staples or nails.
It also will have a far harder finish then a site sealed floor. And can still be refinished.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
If you're looking to do a floor on a bargain basement budget, check out your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. There are stores across the country and you can often (not always) find steals of a deal on real hardwood or engineered wood flooring.

Last year I bought 650 square of beautiful Santos Mahogany engineered wood for 50 cents a square foot. Haven't installed it yet, will do after I finish my kitchen.

Just make sure you buy enough of the exact same flooring. They often have 100 or 200 square feet of one type of flooring. Enough to do a single room, but not a whole floor of a house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all! Joe, no, I've never done flooring before. I was expecting a lot of work, but I would very likely end up in over my head.

I don't think we could put a tongue and groove in it ourselves. I was hoping you guys wouldn't say we needed to.

You have definitely answered my questions. I believe we will be going the prefinished route. Thank you again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts