DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a house and it looks like they used Glidden flat white on the smooth ceiling in the master bedroom to 'touch up' and you can see where it ends on the ceiling in some spots. Its really hard to tell what they did to be honest, but you can see roller marks in a few areas on the ceiling.

Can I use a drywall sander to try and feather it in?

I'd rather not have to repaint the entire ceiling.

Can I buy that Glidden crap and somehow 'blend' it so I don't have to repaint the entire ceiling (3 steps)?

The ceilings are smooth throughout the entire house.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Even if you bought the exact same batch of the same paint- or even had the old can of the original paint - paint degrades over time and changes colour. Rarely is a ceiling touch-up job effective and usually calls for a total repaint.

It is however a comparatively easy job. Long, yes; 'involved', yes...but the results are worth it given the alternatives. Like: 'live with it'...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would repaint. Touching up ceilings can be touchy if you do not use the same product originally used or if the original product used was not a true flat. There are no true sheen police to monitor paint brands so sheen characteristics are different in each brand. As a rule of thumb, the higher the sheen the less likely the product will touch-up perfectly over time.

Most brands that score really well in consumer magazines carry a higher sheen to make them out perform competitors but the standard consumer does not investigate further nor do the big box facilities explain thoroughly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts