DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I purchased
Strand Woven Harvest 3/8 in. Thick x 4.92 in. Wide x 36-1/4 in. Length Solid Bamboo Flooring

from home depot. We are using an underlayment with it. Can we install our cabinets on top of the flooring or not? What SHOULD we do? It's my kitchen remodel, so I want to make sure that it is right. Please let me know. Thanks!

·
General contractor/carpen
17,477 Posts
I would check local codes on this. I believe you need to have a minimum of 18" between the lower cabinets and the uppers. Installing anything underneath the lower cabinets could raise them. This space is needed to keep the stove, toasters, etc. a safe distant from the upper cabinets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

I would check local codes on this. I believe you need to have a minimum of 18" between the lower cabinets and the uppers. Installing anything underneath the lower cabinets could raise them. This space is needed to keep the stove, toasters, etc. a safe distant from the upper cabinets.

We're already moving our upper cabinets up. It's a whole kitchen remodel. The previous owners had the cabinets way to low for my liking, so we're taking out the empty space (it was a box above the cabinets to the ceiling with nothing in it) and raising the cabinets. So that shouldn't be an issue. :) Thanks for your response though!

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
You CAN put on top of the flooring. What I would do is get some three eights ply and put it under the cabinet area. Then install this cabinets, then install the flooring up to the cabinets with recommended spacing. Ron
this is what i would do. for 2 reasons.
1. why buy/install expensive flooring that you will never see.
2. should you ever need to replace the flooring, you won't need to deal with the cabinets.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,471 Posts
Mom....

You said the bamboo was solid but only 3/8 thick......and using an underlayment.... are you sure this is not a floating floor install.

.... because as a floater you could not anchor it with cabinitry.

(It just seemed thin to me for a nail down, but I've not done bamboo.)

Best

·
Doer of Many Things
1,208 Posts
That's a tongue and groove on HD's website. It is mighty thin for that. I'm wondering how well that's going down without splitting. I too would agree with the plywood under the cabinets. It avoids hassles in the future. The only reason to do otherwise it to account for someone removing any cabinets in the future since there will be no floor under them.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Cabinets should always be shimmed to make them level. ⅜" might be enough, often they're shimmed up to ¾" to allow for an unlevel floor and thickness of the floor covering.

So, install the cabinets first then install the flooring to within ¼" or the recommended space then cover with shoe moldings.

In most cases the bottom of the wall cabinets start at about 54-56" off the floor, leaving close to 18" above the finished counter tops.

Jaz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re:

That's a tongue and groove on HD's website. It is mighty thin for that. I'm wondering how well that's going down without splitting. I too would agree with the plywood under the cabinets. It avoids hassles in the future. The only reason to do otherwise it to account for someone removing any cabinets in the future since there will be no floor under them.
We are actually putting it down in the living room as well, and it's going down just fine. No splitting at all. So far so good! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.