DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to build a post-framed garage, and am starting to level the site. History being my guide, I am thinking I may not have the thing done before the snow flies (which could be November here in upstate NY).

I remember from helping a friend with concrete projects that concrete should be poured over compacted crusher run, over either virgin scraped earth, or compacted earth.

I may ultimately just leave the floor of this building as crushed stone, and skip the concrete. But I am assuming the same principle applies: that the earth underneath needs to be compacted or freshly scraped.

What happens if I just get the site scraped, and perhaps the crusher stone down, and then the project sits until I can get back to it in the spring? Will a long wet winter mess up my pad?

Thanks for any useful advice.

Dave

·
Exterior Construction
26,846 Posts
It would not bother me. The extra sitting time will settle it more.
In the effort of full disclosure....most of these guys have forgotten more about concrete than I will ever know.

Trust one of these rockhounds way more than me.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
As long as there has been no concrete poured, I would allow it to be exposed for the winter but would expect to be levelling and compacting it in the Spring before I poured.

Exposed footings tend to frost heave if left exposed over the winter especially if there is water in the hole.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
only if you're in plattsburgh or malone will that be an issue,,, otherwise, leave it alone & don't worry til spring

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,774 Posts
What happens if I just get the site scraped, and perhaps the crusher stone down, and then the project sits until I can get back to it in the spring? Will a long wet winter mess up my pad?
Ayuh,..... That Depends,.....

If it is properly Drained, so any water can't perk down into the sub-soils,....
No Problem,.....

If ya dig a Hole that don't self-drain, then fill it 1/2 fulla crushed stone,....
It'll fill with water which will perk down creatin' a quagmire of snot that'll probably never tighten up,....

The pad don't need much pitch, but it's Gotta self-drain in the condition ya leave it,...

The Golden Rule for diggin' in the dirt is,....
If ya open a hole, fill it with something, before the next rain,....
Preferably, the same day,....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

I'm hoping that since I'm not digging down too much, a foot or so at the back, and level at the front, I won't get much of a pond effect. It does take a while to drain off in the spring in some parts of my lot.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts