DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing a toilet. The drain is only 10 1/2" oc from the finished wall. Apparently the old toilet fit this OK. Also, there is a baseboard made out of tile that is very thick - probably at least 3/4" thick. Between that and the short drain, the back tip of the new toilet hits the baseboard. I need about 1/4-1/2" for the bolts to make the holes.

Is it OK to trim the back tip of the toilet bowl base, or will it legitimately affect the structural integrity? Of course I know it would void the warranty. I would plan to use a 7" dry tile diamond saw blade on my circular saw to make the cut. Another option would be to gouge out a little depression in the tile baseboard using a grinder with diamond wheel. The last option would be to return the toilet and find one that fits, but I'd prefer not.

·
retired framer
63,607 Posts
I'm replacing a toilet. The drain is only 10 1/2" oc from the finished wall. Apparently the old toilet fit this OK. Also, there is a baseboard made out of tile that is very thick - probably at least 3/4" thick. Between that and the short drain, the back tip of the new toilet hits the baseboard. I need about 1/4-1/2" for the bolts to make the holes.

Is it OK to trim the back tip of the toilet bowl base, or will it legitimately affect the structural integrity? Of course I know it would void the warranty. I would plan to use a 7" dry tile diamond saw blade on my circular saw to make the cut. Another option would be to gouge out a little depression in the tile baseboard using a grinder with diamond wheel. The last option would be to return the toilet and find one that fits, but I'd prefer not.
Have you checked how the tank would fit first?

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Tank may fit since the thick tile is the problem. I'd try to remove the tile and replace with thin tile if that works or paint the gap. Tile can go back in future.

There is also the bolts. Depending on the flange. Bolts may have some movement room. Even if a little, may make the difference, if you haven't tried already. Not sure, but I think I've seen bolt washers that are wider, so they can be installed anywhere in the flangle slot. Old drains are usually 4". New toilet wax rings are for 3". With some help with extra wax build up along the flange, there is that possibility as well.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Would not even think about trimming a toilet! They come standard in 10, 12 and 14 inches with the overwhelming majority being 12”.....which is likely what you bought. As advised above, swap for 10”.....which depending on where you bought it they might not have in stock. Also, not all MODELS are available in 10”.....so you might end up having to change that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.