DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can a satellite dish be configured to get better TV reception without satellite service?

239 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  lenaitch
Been using an HD antenna to get a handful of stations here in rural S. Ohio. Not a big TV watcher so just looking for as many free channels as possible. The house came with a DishTV and a Hughesnet satellite dishes in the yard, with wires running into the house. But I don't want to subscribe to any services ATM and stick with the HD antenna. I figure these 2 companies should have come get these antenna if they wanted them when the house was sold, so I consider them mine now.

Just to be clear - I'm not looking to steal cable or satellite TV programming. Just curious if theres any way to tap into these antenna taking up space in my yard, to enhance my local free TV reception? I tried hooking several of the tons of connections to the TV - nada.

Property Plant Land lot Tree Building
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9,016 Posts
Satellite dishes are shaped to focus signals from a very exact distant location, and the receiver at the focal point is tuned to receiver signals at the specific frequencies the satellites transmit. So, if you wanted to use it as a TV antenna, you'd need to replace the receiver assembly with one that doesn't block out terrestrial TV signals (which would be unwanted interference for a satellite receiver), and you'd have to point the dish in the exact direction of the tower for the one station you wanted to receive the broadcast signal from. That might work, but I'm not even sure of that, since I don't know if the dish material will reflect the frequency of signals used for TV broadcast.

You might be able to paint it with something that reflects sunlight and use it as a solar cooker...

· Usually Confused
10,591 Posts
I figure these 2 companies should have come get these antenna if they wanted them when the house was sold, so I consider them mine now.
They're yours. Unless they were being rented from the company, which I have never heard of (and would have identified in the sale documents), they are fixtures that were included with the house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts