DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a regular bulb can, but can a CCFL work with DC?

Often I need a portable non plug in source of light such as when working in the attic, and I was thinking of rigging up some kind of light using 14 rechargeable 9 volt batteries in series.

What is another option for this? I know they make lanterns that take those huge 9 volt batteries, but I want something I can recharge, I hate just throwing out batteries as it's a source of pollution that can be prevented by using rechargebles.

I was even thinking, maybe something with a lower voltage bulb and a UPS battery, as long as it's something not too heavy that can produce enough non directional light. Something equivalent to a 100w bulb would be nice.

What about LED light bulbs are they any good? A regular 100w bulb could work with my idea but I doubt it would last very long as it draws quite a lot of power.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
What about LED light bulbs are they any good? A regular 100w bulb could work with my idea but I doubt it would last very long as it draws quite a lot of power.
1w of LED light = 4 to 5 w of incand. light.

A LED has 10,000 to 100,000 hr life, depending on how hard you whack it with current, and they are mechanically rugged.

If you have enough identical LEDs in series you may be able to drive them with a voltage source (battery) rather than a current source. They are current driven devices; the voltage across them varies widely for a given current but many in series will cancel out this voltage problem.

How many watts of light do you need? 20w of LED light? www.hosfelt.com has some high brightness LEDs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts