DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I just not getting it? I’m trying to replace two shutoff valve under my mom’s bathroom sink because both knobs were stripped off and I couldn’t find replacement for them so I thought I’d just update the whole valve to new ones. I shut off the water main and unhooked all the attached lines, but when I try to unscrew the valves themselves they keep spinning around and don’t come off! I loosen them because I can turn it by hand now, but they don’t want to come off.
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
You need to hold that compression nut with one wrench, then unscrew the valve with another wrench. Use some wd40. two big cresent wrenches should do it. Or one big cresent and big channel lock.

·
Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
what kind of pipe is that? copper, galvanized??. Looks like copper from the pic.

Another option; you can cut the pipe behind the nut and use push-on 1/4 turn sharkbites valves. No soldering required. Take old valves with you to box, plumbing, hardware store and match them up. Get some new supply lines to, if those are really old.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
It's a compression connection, not a threaded connection to a male adapter end or a nipple end.

You need to use two wrenches. Make sure you are turning loose not tightening.

If it's so stubborn in coming off, you are not going to be able to remove the nut because the ferrule inside will have strangled the pipe so tight it's not coming out without a sleeve puller. Plan on using a new valve but keeping the existing nut and ferrule.

I would advise not to cut and use push fit valves, from your pictures there does not seem like there is enough exposed copper pipe for a push fit valve to fully bottom and seal.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
You can use more force - as long as you counter that force with the second wrench.
If you can fit a long handle wrench, it will be easier.
No matter what you do, don't damage the nipple - copper will bend and twist under rotating force, so hold the counter wrench firmly.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
As previously mentioned, use 2 crescent wrenches. Put them so the handles are almost together, with the wrench on the compression nut about 5-10 degrees counterclockwise to the one on the valve and grip both with your hand(s) and squeeze the 2 handles together. Move the wrench on the nut back and repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I tried that, it won’t budge. I don’t want to apply to much pressure and break it off. But I’ll put some WD40 on it and try again. Thanks
Are you turning the nut in the proper direction?
Looking at the valve from the front, hold the valve itself steady with a wrench.
Then with a second wrench, turn the nut on the back clockwise.
Compression fittings are never too tight to move. I suspect you are turning it the wrong way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts