DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m working in a 60s home. I can’t seem to find any type of cross tees to fit this system. The tees don’t just go through the slot, it appears if they have a little tab that inserts and you bend it. I can’t find those kind of tees anywhere.
Anyone have any idea?

Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender Tints and shades
Wood Building House Wood stain Beam

·
Naildriver
14,478 Posts
Have you tried a regular straight tee and bending the tab to where it fits the slot?

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,404 Posts
T grid is like everything else they keep changing the product under the guise of improvements.

If your looking for a tab on both ends, I have never seen one.
All of the installers I have seen in 50 years used a pop rivet on one end and the tab on the other.
They had a special tool that punched and set the pop rivet in almost one operation.
You will need a vice grip for holding one side of the T

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are the exact tees I have but they don’t fit into the slots, they are too tall

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
You don't have room to move the ceiling panels in or out anyway. Instead of proper pieces that interlock, I cut the cross pieces out of longer stock and just sat them there and panels hold in place. So if i have to remove a panel i can remove the cross piece. The cross tee was cut so that if i slide it to side it will clear. Same as with sliding cabinet doors in a groove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts