DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
JOATMON
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My concrete guy who can pretty much do anything had a free day so I put him to work doing some tasks that I had been avoiding (I hate heights)....I had install some blocking on the eaves of my house.....

In a couple of places I have what looks to be about a 1/4" gap between the block and the rafter.

Is that too much to fill with caulk or should I replace the 2-3 boards that are like this?

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
Got a picture?
Depend, 1/4" is not to much to caulk but if it's a deep area your trying to air seal you may want to use expanding foam instead if your air sealing.
Or at least some foam cording first then the caulking.

Reactions: ddawg16

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Look at the store--ask for 'backer rod' that is a stiff foam round thing used to fill the gap before caulking---comes in a roll---various diameters for small gap ,like yours, to very thick .for the big gaps between a concrete slab and a foundation----

·
JOATMON
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at the store--ask for 'backer rod' that is a stiff foam round thing used to fill the gap before caulking---comes in a roll---various diameters for small gap ,like yours, to very thick .for the big gaps between a concrete slab and a foundation----
Ok.....now that you point it out....I have seen that.....

Thanks Mike.....and Joe

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yep, backing rod is what ya want.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
1/4" is fine for caulk but then it comes down to how much space you have to fill. If it's not much space, a backer rod is a waste of time. If it's deep, you'll either use a ton of caulk to fill, or risk not having the caulk stick well to the sides if you don't fill.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Rule of thumb: Never caulk deeper than the width.

I had a union painter tell me that if the cracks got that big. they'd call in the carpenters.

I do agree with the advice previously given. Backer rod or foam filler is standard in the industry for this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts