DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....Thanks in advance for your help.

Just bought a house with a shop and I am not moved in yet. I need to give a Hearth store measurements as I am ordering a wood stove. When at the shop on my last permitted visit, I forgot to measure the height of the roof peak from the floor. Can someone assist with calcs as I cannot find any helpful info on Google.

~The inside width (span) of the shop is 17'9"
~The wall height is 7'8"
~The inside length of the Rafter to the Ridge is 9'5"

I am trying to calculate the Rise and Pitch of the roof. :thumbup:

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you BigJim, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get to 12/12 and how do I calculate the rise? I need to give this info to the hearth store for a chimney.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I got a rough shot of 11' total to the top of the ridge. Easy enough to do
the the a squared (half of the width of the building) plus b squared (rise of the rafters) = c squared (total run of the rafter on one side) and just work backwards for an exact figure of the roof rise, then just add to the wall height. Assuming that you measured the rafter run from the ridge to where it hits the top plate and didn't add in the soffit overhang which will throw things off. Ron

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
As an add on, and to give you perspective, if you had a 12/12 as someone suggested, half of your building width would be about 9 feet....meaning that your ridge beam would be NINE FEET higher than your top plate. So, in perspective, is the distance from top plate to ridge more than the distance from the floor to the top plate?? Ron

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
I googled types of roofs to make sure. Gable roof, shed roof. What kind do you have? Your measurements suggest a shed. Search image of a pitch, rise and run of a roof. The pitch is same as a hypotenus of a triangle, so get the formula for a triangle hypotenuse and plug your numbers into the variables. Then you need the calculator to change the squared number of a pitch into a square root number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.