DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble locating what I need. I tried hd online chat and the guy was clueless. It's difficult to even search for this. I need a cable clamp for my inlet box with a 1/2 inch knockout. The 3/8 hole was too small. I thought of just dremeling it to be a little bigger, but don't know if that could cause a problem later on with a sharp edge touching the sheathing. Thanks for any help.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
For the half inch fittings the actual KO opening size is 7/8 inches so that is very common item and with standard NM connector as one of the guys left a link.,

The 10-3 NM will fit in there for only single cable

But if you used the 10-3 UF cable forget it you will need larger NM clamp for that cable. ( due it will be flat and pretty wide )

Merci,
Marc

Reactions: Speedy Petey

·
Super Moderator
13,916 Posts
Is there a clamp already in the box?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just dremeled it out and it looks like it'll be fine. No sharp edges or anything. I appreciate the help.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
It's required that you use a clamp to prevent the wire from getting pulled our or rubbing on sharp edges.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
That looks like it will work from the pic, but I have 3/8 ones here and the hole is tiny. I guess I'll just go check at the store. Thanks.
You might have 3/8ths cable end, but they don't make 3/8 electrical male end connectors. 1/2" is the smallest trade size available/allowed.
You should use a trade size 3/4" connector or bigger for a 10/3 cable.
The 3/8 hole is a starter hole for a knock out or to drill it out.

I just dremeled it out and it looks like it'll be fine. No sharp edges or anything. I appreciate the help.
Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I made clear what I was talking about. The knockout is 1/2 an inch, but the clamp has a smaller hole for the cable to go through before it can be tightened down. Hope that makes sense. Otherwise I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem Mike. Home Depot & Lowe's don't carry the 1/2 inch clamps. 3/8 jumps to 3/4. Found them online, don't know what the issue is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts