DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lower cabinet in the kitchen the hinge came off the side of the cabinet.

The two holes look fine, the plastic "sleeves" look fine. What is the best way to secure the hinges?

Apply some contact cement or 2 part epoxy into the hole and push them back in and let it set? Or change to bigger screws?

· Retired Moderator
14,787 Posts
Open the hinge, you will see the screws that are holding the larger threaded insert behind. Hold the insert from turning and unscrew the front screws.

Epoxy the inserts back in the holes, let set, then screw the hinge back to the cabinet. Make sure the screw holes where the front screws go don't fill up with glue or it may be had to rescrew.

· Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having a hard time backing the screws out of the inserts. Even with a plier biting down on the insert the screws are not backing out in fact the phillips screw heads are almost stripped from me trying to turn it loose. Is there a trick to this? Both inserts are held together like this.

· Retired Moderator
14,787 Posts
I really don't know any tricks to get the screws out. If all else fails, just epoxy the inserts in while attached to the hinge, the only down side I see is maybe replacing the hinge later on down the road.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
I am having a hard time backing the screws out of the inserts. Even with a plier biting down on the insert the screws are not backing out in fact the phillips screw heads are almost stripped from me trying to turn it loose. Is there a trick to this? Both inserts are held together like this.
You could try a penetrating oil, such as WD40.

If necessary, remove the fitting from the door and soak the item overnight.

If you then cannot remove the screws, or the heads are too damaged to reuse if you can, you could (hopefully) buy a new fitting from the same manufacturer and proceed as suggested by BigJim

· Registered
2,263 Posts
You could try a penetrating oil, such as WD40.

If necessary, remove the fitting from the door and soak the item overnight.
One further thought on this matter : -
If the oil treatment does not work, drop the whole unit into a pan of boiling water - for about 10 seconds.

When cooled enough to handle, you should find that both the plastic has softened and the expansion of the metal screws may have "broken the seal" to the plastic which is now preventing movement.

· Registered
1 Posts
Ugh, so I see I am not the only one with this horrendous setup. Same problem here. Can't remove the screws without cutting them it seems. Which is fine for the door that ripped out because I plugged the holes with dowels and plan to use new screws to reattach, but I would really like to remove the green inserts for all of the cabinet doors because they prevent the hinge from sitting flush and cause the doors to wobble horribly, which is presumably why the door ripped out in the first place. Can anyone tell me what purpose of the plastic sleeve is besides driving me crazy?? Can they be removed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.