DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I have an 800 sf cabin in New York State that is built on piers and has a 2 foot crawlspace. The back wall and half of the sides are cinderblock and then the rest of the sides and the front are open. The cabin has no A/C. Would I be able to create a closed crawl space if I used plywood to close off the front of the crawlspace where there is no cinderblock? I will be putting a dehumidifier in the crawlspace once it is sealed.

Also I already installed 20 mil vapor barrier on the ground and secured it 1 foot up onto the cinderblock with tape. I plan to do the same with the front half after it is closed off and secure the vapor barrier to the plywood. Would I be able to put the rigid foam insulation board on top of the vapor barrier on the wall? I know the wall insulation usually goes on first, but will it create a problem to put it on top of the vapor barrier? Or should I remove the tape at the top of the vapor barrier and install the rigid insulation on the wall, then retape the vapor barrier.

Thanks for your help.

·
retired framer
38,214 Posts
The problem you have is you need some sort of wall in the front and what ever you build will be subject to lifting if the soil below it freezes. So real good drainage under that wall is a must.

You can tape the foam joints and that is a barrier. You worry about wood that is between two barriers so what ever you do will not hurt any thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts