DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SDGE came out today and inspected our existing panel/meter for a service upgrade.

They told me the current panel/meter can't stay where it is at because it is under a carport and the SE which goes above our carport and into the side of the house through an older style weather-head.

The panel which is in a storage closet (10' X 5') behind the meter and lower would have to be moved as well.

The inspector is going to talk to her supervisor about where to place it, because she said this is a unique situation because of the carport.

On another note, can the panel (not meter) go inside the storage room with the meter on the outside? She said no, but I can't find it written anywhere in the 2016 California Electrical Code book.

She also said there is a part in the above code book that states "the SE can't cross over garages or carports."

This is a single family resident and I am upgrading from a 100A to 200A service.

The 2016 CA code is effective 01JAN2017, but I could not find it in the current code book as well; California electrical Code 2013.

Since I am doing this work myself, any insight into CA codes with respect to SE requirements, I would greatly appreciate it?

Pics to follow, tomorrow.

·
JOATMON
15,307 Posts
I went through that when I was doing my 2-story addition.

In a nut shell.....

The service mast must be accessible from your yard with a ladder. I wanted to put mine on the side....but because it was 2=story, the ladder would have had to have been on the neighbors yard to reach the top.

The meter has to be visible and accessible....in the event of a fire and the FD needs to get to it.

The good news is, almost all of the power companies are using smart meters so you don't have the issue of it being visible from the street.

Just plan on it being on the back wall or side wall (if single story)

Walk around your house and look where a ladder could be placed to reach the weatherhead.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
On another note, can the panel (not meter) go inside the storage room with the meter on the outside? She said no, but I can't find it written anywhere in the 2016 California Electrical Code book.
If she is saying you can't have the meter and a shut off outside,with the panel inside the house ask her to quote the applicable codes and sections that prohibit it.

My guess is that you have a smaller size storage room and they don't feel that you can maintain the required work space and use the room effectively for storage.

Use some tape or draw on the floor a 30 inch wide by 36 inch deep space in front of your propose panel location. Also mark the wall at 6 and1/2 feet. Can you keep that space clear of all storage and also access it from the entry point (door?) without having to move anything in the storage space ?
If your answer is "no, I would have to move something", it isn't allowed. (See 110.26 CEC)

The other point might be type of storage. Flammables or combustibles in close proximity to the panel are frowned upon. The restriction maybe in the county/city fire code, not necessarily the CEC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses!

ddawg, I walked around the house and there is a good spot on the west side, but she says the SE line can't cross over the carport, even if it is at an acceptable code height. The first picture is looking NW.

The exact dimensions of the storage closet is 12' (L) X 3' 9" (D) X 12' (H)

Oso954: I have that space you mentioned for the panel inside that storage area with 9" to spare.

The door does not reach the meter when swung outwards plus it is blocked by the carports wood center support stud.

The main panel is behind and below the meter, inside the storage closet. About ankle to shin level high.

She did say she was going to call me Monday.

Here are the pics from the pole going in.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts