DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started two weeks ago at night I heard the sudden buzzing sound from outside and got scared and turned off outside unit. The noise went away. After 10 to 15 minutes I turned it back on and I haven't heard this noise for two weeks.

Tonight, it did again. Instead of turning off, I went out to see. It seemed the air from condensor is not hot. I guess it means a/c is not running (?). I turned off again and the noise went away. obviously fan is running.

It's long holiday and I want to know if that's something I need to be really worried. I didn't get a tune up this year since my indoor coil was replace in Sepetember and didn't think I needed a tune up.

Is it somehing I should really worry and compressor going bad?
what's the really symptoms of a compressor going bad. I noticed my next a/c is making a simliar noise tonight but less noisy. I didn't dare to go to my next door's and check it out.

It's 3 ton split unit in Dallas, Texas. it's bryant and 10 years old. It was just the coil replaced last year. Condensor is 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
fan motor bearing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Must be the fan motor. When start the noise again you can knock on the top of the condenser. If should stop for a moment e back again.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Turn off the compressor and leave fan running. Then turn off the fan and leave the compressor running. You can isolate where the noise comes

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Fan runs but air coming out the top is not hot means the compressor isn't on. The buzz is the sound of the windings in the compressor trying to fry on attempted start up. Could be a weak capacitor or one of the compressor wires coming loose.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Contactor makes buzzing sound, check it. (just tap the contactor and see if that help, if that stop the buzzing sound, then you need a new contactor) If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you can check the Voltage to confirm that.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
sut the stat off on cooling and the power out at the condenser sparay the contactor coil slides with WD-40...wait five minutes push in manually no power still...then restart the show...still buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:eek: change the contactor...grainger supply don't need to call service...spin the condenser motor no power both ways no grinding its not the motor:no:...compressor is sealed only hi pitched wine is normal:)..if you can hear it from a window the contactor coil is buzzing...also tap it with the rubber end of a screw driver when running it will change buzz level:yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts