DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Normal flush for a modern toilet is about 1.6 gallons.
Depends where you are. California has been 1.28 gpf for residential since 2016. Texas is also. I’ve heard of other states but haven't been tracking them.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm partial to TOTO toilets after having installed 4 of them in two different houses I've lived in. They've always replaced some other brand that had one problem after the other (clogged, or didn't flush well, or wasted water, etc). Every single one of them has worked flawlessly, in one case for 10 years without needing even a flapper valve replacement. The other three were still going strong when I moved out of those houses. Not a single clog, good flush every single time, and only 1.3 gallons per flush.

I'd never install any other brand. TOTO does make 1 piece toilets, but I prefer 2 piece because each piece is much lighter and easier for the DIYer to install. I also don't much like the tall ADA versions as I find them uncomfortable, but everyone has their own preferences.

Finally, with regard to soft-close seats - these are amazing and when you replace a toilet, you can install whatever seat you like. Definitely consider a soft close. There are also detachable ones that you don't have to unscrew in order to clean the area where the seat attachment meets to bowl.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I installed 2 Toto Drakes elongated (2 piece per set) and couldn't be happier. I watched all kinds of videos from folks trying to stop them up and not a single fail. I also bought the extended height bowls (ADA) as these are long term purchases and with getting older a taller bowl is better. I chose 1.6 gallons per flush which was an improvement over the 3.0 GPF that I put in the house when I built it in 1990.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had both AS and Kohler. My preference is for AS.

The bowls in our current condo were low and small, round. They were replaced immediately.

·
Pro Answers
136 Posts
Kohler Highline over the Cinnaman.

I would stay away from Amer. std stuff unless your working with commerical products and Commercial Amer. std vendors. Amer std is a huge company that as bought out many small companies yet there quality control had gone down the Sh$%itter due to the brands they now label with and the short cuts they take. seems the way of capitalistic USA ford, GM, Whirpool, Sherman williams, Carrier I could go on and on and on.

Its called comfort height - which can comply with ADA. Beware that many manufacture market comfort height differently so LOOK AT THE ACTUAL height measurements floor to rim. You'll thank yourself when you have that knee or hip surgery.

Most Americans dont know shi$%T and I mean that in that they dont know how to defecate properly- too much strain on the large intestine, IBS, Crones, hemorrhoids. Google Squatty Potty’s . That said comfort height will get things moving in the correct direction.

* if your doing the toilet install yourself go with the 2 piece theres also some big adv vs 1 piece.

·
Naildriver
12,328 Posts
That said comfort height will get things moving in the correct direction.
I hate to disagree with you on this, but having your knees higher than your waist is the best position. One way to help in this is to build a short stool (8" or so) that you can drag under your feet while seated to raise your legs if you have a comfort height toilet.

After 2 knee replacements, I agree that the comfort height is a God send.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I have 2 Kohler Devonshire an like the look of the tank lid.

But they have a rubber ring flapper gasket an I don’t think its as easy to replace as the solid flapper gaskets in older toilets. Maybe they all have rings now I don’t know.

Daughter put 3 straight side toilets in her house so she didn’t have to dust the sides. We haven’t figured how to tighten the seats on those an haven’t looked it u up yet.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
The old style lower height comes closer to NOT needing the - Squatty Potty - but after installing the taller elongated i'll never recommend the lo and round. American Standard for us.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I own a Champion. Buy Kohler or Toto, AS has went way down hill, quality and design. Mine is made in Mexico. There is another company in Ohio, don't know who retails them- Mansfield

·
Hammered Thumb
3,549 Posts
Most Americans dont know shi$%T and I mean that in that they dont know how to defecate properly- too much strain on the large intestine, IBS, Crones, hemorrhoids. Google Squatty Potty’s . That said comfort height will get things moving in the correct direction.
It's actually the opposite, ADA height toilets (17"-19") cause the strain and problems you speak of. They are easier to get onto and off of because handicap persons can slide onto them, and older folk don't have to push themselves up with their legs. But as far as digestive health the high height is bad. Only western countries sit with legs closed and knees lower than thighs.

The Squatty Potty website has links to studies on this. If you think that's just marketing, here's a Harvard blurb on toilet position.

Glad Chandler and Hues knows this, no hemorrhoids for you! Also my preference is always elongated, gives you more room for your junk.

Attachments

·
Big Dog
3,046 Posts
I installed Koehler Cimarron toilets in all three of our bathrooms as well as parents and my FiL's.

They flush well and I have had no issues with any of them. The comfort-height is a definite plus.

The only maintenance I have had to do was replacement of the flush valve gasket on the oldest toilet about 4 or 5 years after I installed it. I have city water and apparently the minerals deteriorates the gasket.

The gasket is easily obtained at the big box stores and on-line and was a 30-second fix.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC
21 - 39 of 39 Posts