DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be purchasing a refrigerator and want to know what the process will be like. I understand that the new fridge has to fit so measurements will be taken. Is a fridge something generally you have delivered or is it easy enough to transport via dolly and perhaps a rented truck? Not looking to purchase something with a water filter or icemaker so not other accessories are needed correct? General info on buying would be helpful thanks.

·
Usually Confused
7,280 Posts
I would want it delivered and the old one taken away as part of the package. Whether it is "easy" depends on a lot of things. I have a truck and access to a trailer and still would want somebody else to do it.

When you consider measurements, remember that most have clearance requirements on the back and/or side depending on where the coils are. Most machines now have left/right convertible door but keep that in mind in relation to your kitchen layout. Also, consider you kitchen space when the door is open. Ours is a 'side-by-side' so each door is smaller which is good because we have an island that would have made a single door model very tight. I have casually observed that side-by-sides are not all that common anymore, and many styles now have a bottom pull-out freezer, which might might not work for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Most places will offer delivery and set-up, and removal of old - usally a small fee ($10-20). Critical measures are width and height. Often overlooked is position of handles - right side / left side.
Depth of machine is critical as well. You want room at the back for air circulation. Freezer compartment can be top or bottom. Look around...you can spent $1000 or $10,000 nowadays.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
When I need a fridge, or any large appliance, right away and without waiting for delivery, I pick it up myself.
You have to be able to handle the appliance, the transport, hook up and remove the old one.

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
Your problem may be actually finding the fridge you want for sale. I hear large appliances are having stocking issues.

As to the old fridge, I would ask the people delivering the new one to move the old one to the garage or someplace easy for someone to get it out, and throw it up on Craigslist for free (assuming it's in decent shape and working). You'll get lots of requests.

Or if you have a garage or basement, having a space fridge can be very convenient.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Have the vendor deliver it and look closely at it before they leave. Our last refrigerator purchase resulted in the store taking back the first two delivered. They were dented where it showed. They wanted to leave them and deal with a repair, but if I accepted it the chances of getting another were slim. I saw damage and told them it was not acceptable,put it back on the truck.

Reactions: peequi
1 - 6 of 6 Posts