DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Buying a pocket hole jig - Need advice

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  FlyingHammer 
#1 ·
This morning while I was trying to get out of bed, an infomercial for a pocket hole jig was playing (I'm not sure if this site likes to use name brands or not) and I became interested in a product such as this.

First off, is this a tool worth having? It seems to make a lot of projects go a lot smoother and I can build simple pieces without having to go to an RTA store and pay their prices.

Secondly, the product on TV was roughly $100. Is it worth getting one with the integrated clamping device? I have also found some others on the internet w/o the clamp for $30.

Any advice would is much appreciated. TIA

#4 ·
I purchased the Kreg jig from Lowes about six months ago, the model with all the bells and whistles. I recall it was about $120. The main reason I got it was to install the rails on my deck using pocket screws. For that it worked very nicely. I also found it was quite handy for installing supports on the deck for trim boards.

I have a lot of different tools for joining boards, including a biscuit joiner, doweling jig, Kreg jig, and various router bits that can make various joint shapes for example frame and panel doors. The Kreg jig is good, relatively fast, and easy to use. The joints seem to be pretty strong. It is not the solution for all problems, nor is it a replacement for traditional joinery, but it certainly has its place. Whether there are less expensive alternates, I have no idea, but I have no complaints about the cost to benefit ratio. By the way, I do not own stock in Kreg, or any other woodworking company for that matter.

#9 ·
I like using my Kreg jig to assemble face frames, but it's definitely overpriced for what you get. IMO, the full Kreg kit is full of things you'll never use or need, and the integrated Kreg clamp is no better than any other clamp you may already have. You basically just need the jig, the stepped drill bit, and a 4" long square drive screw gun bit.

The special pocket hole screws are also a bit over-priced, but they perfectly fit the hole and they won't break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.