DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!:confused1: I have a less than two years old Trane AC unit that has stopped spinning its fan blades.

When I turn on the unit the compressor kicks on and sounds like it normally does but there is just no spinning of the fan. I have tried the stick test to no avail. The blades spin smoothly when pushed but slowly come to a stop.

I have changed the capacitor with a brand new one as well as checked the connections to the capacitor and the compressor and the fan with a multimeter and they all add up correctly as they should. I concluded that it must be the fan motor itself.

Today I took apart my fan motor and had a look inside and noticed that some of the coils were black and appeared to be charred. (see attached photos)

Has anyone seen this before? Is my motor fried?

Thanks! Any help would be grealty appreciated!

FYI: I'm still under parts warranty but not labor:thumbdown:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just replace the motor. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
39,747 Posts
Its toast. But, warranty is sometimes voided when they find you took something apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was toast and just wanted a few other opinions.

Trane actually didn't care when I told them I took it apart.:thumbup: They said it was still covered. I plan on fixing it myself anyhow because the labor is twice as much as the part.

·
Administrator
39,747 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was toast and just wanted a few other opinions.

Trane actually didn't care when I told them I took it apart.:thumbup: They said it was still covered. I plan on fixing it myself anyhow because the labor is twice as much as the part.
Trane, or the Trane distributor that you will be getting the part from?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thats funny.It reminded me of a time my brother called and said he had no heat.By time I got to him he took me downstairs and told me he figured out tghat the fan wasn't running.He had a 2 speed belt drive motor all apart.You wouldn't believe how many parts there were all over the floor.
I went outy to the truck had a new motor installed it,looked into furnace and saw the thermocouple was swelling up so replaced that.Looked at the HW F&L replaced that,noticed the previous owner had put up, chicken wire over the draft diverter so I looked and found two dead squierls and a dead crow in the heat exchanger.
Done all that and still got home in time for dinner.If I had tried to put that motor back together I might have been there till midnight.LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts