DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got huge piles of slash that need to be burned on my land, some 10 feet high. I was told by FD to do this in winter which is now. Tried the other day but basically the wood's too wet after a major snow melt. A friend recommended tarping the piles to dry them out, but I doubt that will result in sufficient drying.

Any advice on burning slash in winter weather?

·
Super Moderator
21,632 Posts
Start with a small fire of dry stuff and gradually build it larger. The heat will dry it.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
I actually had to steal some of my dry firewood from home to get a decent firepit started. Once you have a pile of hot coals you can flip the slash on and let her roar. But it needs that huge source of heat to dry and burn the wet stuff.

I had huge piles of one to three inch trees so lots of open space in those piles. I ended up taking my chain saw right down through the pile in many places to get things more compact.

Good luck
Bud

·
Red Seal Electrician
460 Posts
I actually had to steal some of my dry firewood from home to get a decent firepit started. Once you have a pile of hot coals you can flip the slash on and let her roar. But it needs that huge source of heat to dry and burn the wet stuff.
Same. I never have any luck lighting a whole wet pile. I burn more often.

·
Contractor/Engineer
952 Posts
Invite your friends and tell them you're having a bonfire party - if you're buying I'll bet they figure out how to get it burning!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
At the camp, I always keep a container of used motor oil around to start the burn barrel in damp or wet conditions. Don't know if that is an option for you, but it works.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A wheelbarrow of dry wood makes a viable fire that will dry out wet wood enough to burn.

A cordless leaf blower helps fan the small fire into a large one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all, this confirms what a buddy told me. I'll go for it. Is coal useful in this situation, vs dry wood?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
My brother in law uses a cheap plastic spray bottle filled with kerosene.
Once the fire is lit he sprays the fire to keep it going.
The sprayer atomizes the kerosene, just like in any kerosene salamander heater.
It seems to work fine with no blowback.
But he did set his shed on fire a few years back when he went in the house while it was burning.
He burns everything.....shrubs, trees, lawn equipment.....
I don't let him visit anymore.

·
Usually Confused
7,071 Posts
thanks all, this confirms what a buddy told me. I'll go for it. Is coal useful in this situation, vs dry wood?
I'm pretty sure they meant "coals", as in hot, glowing carbonized wood, not mineral coal.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,506 Posts
I have a cheap propane torch from Harbor Freight. I stick in under the pile and turn up high. In about 1/2 hour it will get the pile going. Pull out the torch.

·
Usually Confused
7,071 Posts
Got any highway flares ('railroad fusees').

1 - 12 of 12 Posts