DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I want to put a 100A subpanel in the garage. I am thinking of using ACWU or TECK cable to run 50' underground from the main panel in the house to the garage. What size of conductors are required by the CEC? I am in Alberta.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How friendly is the turning radius of the ACWU #1; Will it turn in an LB; so to bond the armor to the panel, or is a 6" transition box required on the outside wall (might sound like a dumb question but the protective PVC conduit from the trench to the LB will be 60% larger than the ACWU #1 OD)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How friendly is the turning radius of the ACWU #1; Will it turn in an LB; so to bond the armor to the panel, or is a 6" transition box required on the outside wall (might sound like a dumb question but the protective PVC conduit from the trench to the LB will be 60% larger than the ACWU #1 OD)?
When I look back on my above post it looks redundant but it's too late to edit it.
Looks like 2 or 2-1/2" conduit will be required on the outside wall; 6" box there too.

·
Registered
997 Posts
you can use connectors on the acwu to the lb than continue with stripped wires in emt to panel or no lb at all and acwu connected directly to panels

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
you can use connectors on the acwu to the lb than continue with stripped wires in emt to panel
Could use PVC conduit here as well?

or no lb at all and acwu connected directly to panels
This would be nice.

Extra protection is required over the ACWU from the trench to the entry point on the wall, otherwise the armored cable could simply pass through and terminate on the panel. That's why I was wondering about the maximum flex radius of the #1 ACWU to pass through a large LB or 6" box; Then only 2 TECK connector$ would be required rather than 4.:vs_laugh:

·
Registered
997 Posts
with pvc you need to bond the teck connector, with flex metal or emt it is ok
or you can just build a wood or metal plate protection where the acwu enter the garage, it is done often on industrial
also if inside you can just use dry Ac90/bx connectors, just need to remove the pvc jacket in the connector

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why couldn't I just pull the ACWU 1 through a 2" 90 degree elbow to pass through the wall then continue with the ACWU straight into the panel. It's a very short run into the panel from there.
How stiff is the #1 ACWU? Will it pull 3 feet through a 2" elbow, or will that be like wrestling a Boa Constrictor? Also, will it satisfy code? Inspectors might not like the looks of that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is there any requirement for a pvc expansion joint on the exterior cable protection to deal with frost heave, or to leave cable slack somewhere?
Is there much concern about heaving and the breakage of ACWU?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts