DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie here and trying to do some simple upgrading of the house. My first project is to replace all the switches, outlets and plates of various shapes, colors and sizes to a consistent look. Which I heard can instantly upgrade the look without dropping major dime.

I'm thinking of going decora-style (I think that's what it's called) with a black switch/outlet fixture and stainless steel wall plates. I need about 80 plates and another 80 siwtches/dimmers/outlets and a bunch of other odd ones such as phone jack and coax, etc.

I noticed that anything apart from the sandard white/off-white usually comes at a substantial premium. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any bulk purchase possibilities for these non-standard-issue items?

PS: It seems like very few suppliers make black dimmer modules (at least from what I can find). Lutron is the only brand I could find that makes them (at a reasonable price). Can someone tell me if a Lutron Diva dimmer is designed to fit into a standard "decora" plate?

Any help wil be appreciated!

Thanks!
- KL

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Electrical supply houses can get you most anything you want in cases or contractor packs. Call around and see what they can do to help you.
The big stores sell contractor packages too. Check them out.
Personally all white throughout the house IMO looks the best. Cheap white plates, switches and receptacles.

·
Master Electrician
4,658 Posts
Leviton has an E-bay site that may help you out with discounted devices. Leviton also makes dimmers with interchangeable color schemes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts